• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

c/s from self employed ex?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cmorrisey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) Indiana

My ex husband is court ordered to pay child support and provide insurance for our thirteen year old son. He had some issues with keeping current until it was court ordered that his support be withheld from his job earnings. About 3 years ago he quit his job to start his own business. Since then my child support payments have stopped for months at a time. The cycle always follows the same course..No payments for 4-5 months, he has a court hearing for contempt, he pays just enough to get the charges dropped, lather, rinse, repeat. The state is a party to our case and has been responsible for helping to collect, which I greatly appreciate, however they have not went anything beyond the usual cycle. It is getting to the point that he is going longer and longer between because he knows that this is all that will happen. He's also dropped his insurance that he was court ordered to carry on our son (which really doesn't bother me as I have insurance through my current employer).

My ex has been court ordered to have his wages garnished for support, however since he is now self employed he claims that he no longer receives an actual paycheck.

My question is this: Is there a way to garnish his business profit or banking accounts in order to get the back child support owed and perhaps more steady payments? I have asked the county prosecutor about garnishing something other than his wages and he's admitted that they have done all they can but if I want to hire a private attorney they might be able to do more. If something like this is the case would I benefit more from trying to hire my own attorney rather than relying on the State?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) Indiana

My ex husband is court ordered to pay child support and provide insurance for our thirteen year old son. He had some issues with keeping current until it was court ordered that his support be withheld from his job earnings. About 3 years ago he quit his job to start his own business. Since then my child support payments have stopped for months at a time. The cycle always follows the same course..No payments for 4-5 months, he has a court hearing for contempt, he pays just enough to get the charges dropped, lather, rinse, repeat. The state is a party to our case and has been responsible for helping to collect, which I greatly appreciate, however they have not went anything beyond the usual cycle. It is getting to the point that he is going longer and longer between because he knows that this is all that will happen. He's also dropped his insurance that he was court ordered to carry on our son (which really doesn't bother me as I have insurance through my current employer).

My ex has been court ordered to have his wages garnished for support, however since he is now self employed he claims that he no longer receives an actual paycheck.

My question is this: Is there a way to garnish his business profit or banking accounts in order to get the back child support owed and perhaps more steady payments? I have asked the county prosecutor about garnishing something other than his wages and he's admitted that they have done all they can but if I want to hire a private attorney they might be able to do more. If something like this is the case would I benefit more from trying to hire my own attorney rather than relying on the State?
Contact the state child support enforcement agency. They may be able to seize his bank accounts. Certainly his personal account and possibly his business account (depending on how the business is set up - they can seize a sole proprietorship account, but not a corporation, for example).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">