• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA-Brief relationship, never married, having child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crawford05

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I had a very brief relationship (now over) with a woman who is now carrying and having my child. I make a sizable amount more that she does and based on the CA Child Support Calculator, my support to her would be roughly half of her current net income (her net income @ $2000, projected child support @ $1000). Can this be right?! Is there any way of reducing? If reduction is not an option is there a possibility of putting a percentage into an account (ex: college fund) that the mother would never have access to? Otherwise, this "child support" will not be going to my child. What can I do?

Shay-Pari'e

crawford05 said:

I had a very brief relationship (now over) with a woman who is now carrying and having my child. I make a sizable amount more that she does and based on the CA Child Support Calculator, my support to her would be roughly half of her current net income (her net income @ $2000, projected child support @ $1000). Can this be right?! Of course it can, we do live in CA.

Is there any way of reducing? Yes, it is called Co-Parenting. Joint custody. I don't sense you are interested in that option.

If reduction is not an option is there a possibility of putting a percentage into an account (ex: college fund) that the mother would never have access to? No, you can't dictate what she does raising your child. Raise the baby yourself and ask yourself the same question.

Otherwise, this "child support" will not be going to my child.You chose her, this is not the time to dog her.

What can I do?Support her having your baby. You chose each other, obviously unprotected sex made a baby,.......YOURS.

If you really do not care about your child, then leave it alone. The courts will knock on your door soon enough.

Welcome to the World.

crawford05

First of all, I'd like to thank you for jumping straight into passing judgment on me, that really helps me.

Secondly, not that I need to defend myself to you, but we actually did have protected sex. In case you are not aware, condoms are not 100% effective.

That being said, your instincts are wrong, I do plan on taking partial custody and I factored that into the calculator.

I was under the impression that this site was for advice. If anyone actually has real advice on what options I may have, I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't mean to sound bitter, but I'm asking questions about a very real and very stressful matter and would appreciate some sort of guidance rather than belittlement.

S

seniorjudge

Q: I don't mean to sound bitter, but I'm asking questions about a very real and very stressful matter and would appreciate some sort of guidance rather than belittlement.

A: All the answers you received from --PARIDISE-- are correct.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

crawford05 said:

I had a very brief relationship (now over) with a woman who is now carrying and having my child. I make a sizable amount more that she does and based on the CA Child Support Calculator, my support to her would be roughly half of her current net income (her net income @ $2000, projected child support @ $1000). Can this be right?! Is there any way of reducing? If reduction is not an option is there a possibility of putting a percentage into an account (ex: college fund) that the mother would never have access to? Otherwise, this "child support" will not be going to my child. What can I do?

My response:

The statutory child support scheme implicitly directs that the parents' standard of living be a significant benchmark for child support awards. Legislative intent on this point is expressed as follows:

• In implementing Ca Fam § 4050 et seq., courts "shall adhere" to the principles that (1) "[a] parent's first and principal obligation is to support his or her minor children according to the parent's circumstances and station in life"; and (2) "[c]hildren should share in the standard of living of both parents." [Ca Fam § 4053(a) & (f) (emphasis added); see Marriage of Simpson (1992) 4 Cal.4th 225, 231, 14 Cal.Rptr.2d 411, 414; Marriage of de Guigne (2002) 97 Cal.App.4th 1353, 1360, 119 Cal.Rptr.2d 430, 435]

• In developing recommendations for future revisions of the child support "guideline," "the Judicial Council . . . shall be guided by the legislative intent that children share in the standard of living of both parents." [Ca Fam § 4054(g) (emphasis added); see Marriage of Kerr (1999) 77 Cal.App.4th 87, 97, 91 Cal.Rptr.2d 374, 381 & fn. 8]

These statutory directives effectively require child support awards to reflect a minor child's right to be maintained "in a lifestyle and condition consonant with [his or her] parents' position in society." [White v. Marciano (1987) 190 Cal.App.3d 1026, 1031, 235 Cal.Rptr. 779, 782 (brackets added); see Marriage of de Guigne, supra, 97 Cal.App.4th at 1366, 119 Cal.Rptr.2d at 440; Marriage of Kerr, supra, 77 Cal.App.4th at 95-96, 91 Cal.Rptr.2d at 380; Marriage of Hubner (2001) 94 Cal.App.4th 175, 187, 114 Cal.Rptr.2d 646, 655]

More than bare necessities:
Thus, the amount of a child support award is more than a question of "bare necessities." "Clearly where the child has a wealthy parent, that child is entitled to, and therefore 'needs' something more than the bare necessities of life." [Marriage of Cheriton (2001) 92 Cal.App.4th 269, 293, 111 Cal.Rptr.2d 755, 773; Marriage of Hubner, supra, 94 Cal.App.4th at 187, 114 Cal.Rptr.2d at 655; Johnson v. Super.Ct. (Tate) (1998) 66 Cal.App.4th 68, 71, 77 Cal.Rptr.2d 624, 626; see Marriage of Kerr (1999) 77 Cal.App.4th 87, 97, 91 Cal.Rptr.2d 374, 381, fn. 8--where children have extraordinarily high earning parent, "their 'needs' will necessarily include the continued security of their financial future"]

Judged by both parents' standard of living:
The award must reflect both parents' standard of living. [Ca Fam § 4053(f); Marriage of Young (1990) 224 Cal.App.3d 147, 154, 273 Cal.Rptr. 495, 499; Marriage of Catalano (1988) 204 Cal.App.3d 543, 552, 251 Cal.Rptr. 370, 376; see also Marriage of Kerr, supra, 77 Cal.App.4th at 97, 91 Cal.Rptr.2d at 380-381; County of Kern v. Castle (1999) 75 Cal.App.4th 1442, 1457-1458, 89 Cal.Rptr.2d 874, 885--abuse of discretion not to consider obligor's sizable inheritance that substantially improved his standard of living]

Notwithstanding incidental benefit to custodial parent/family:
Where the supporting parent enjoys a lifestyle that far exceeds the custodial parent's living standard, child support must "to some degree" reflect that more "opulent lifestyle." This is so even though, as a practical matter, the child support payments will incidentally benefit others in the custodial household whom the payor parent has no obligation to support (e.g., custodial parent owed no spousal support, adult children, or children from custodial parent's other relationships). [Johnson v. Super.Ct. (Tate), supra, 66 Cal.App.4th at 71, 77 Cal.Rptr.2d at 626; Marriage of Hubner (1988) 205 Cal.App.3d 660, 668, 252 Cal.Rptr. 428, 433; see also County of Alameda v. Johnson (1994) 28 Cal.App.4th 259, 264, 33 Cal.Rptr.2d 483, 486--fact other members of child's family "who are unrelated to (payor parent) and to whom he owes no support obligation might be benefited by the payment of support beyond mere subsistence levels is not a special circumstance (warranting rebuttal revision of formula support)"]

"Children should share in the standard of living of both parents. Child support may therefore appropriately improve the standard of living of the custodial household to improve the lives of the children." [Ca Fam § 4053(f) (emphasis added); Marriage of Chandler (1997) 60 Cal.App.4th 124, 130, 70 Cal.Rptr.2d 109, 113; see also Marriage of Young, supra, 224 Cal.App.3d at 154, 273 Cal.Rptr. at 499--children entitled to share in noncustodial father's "elevated standard of living" despite custodial mother's substantially lower income; Marriage of Ostler & Smith (1990) 223 Cal.App.3d 33, 54, 272 Cal.Rptr. 560, 573--awarding supported children percentage of noncustodial father's future bonuses ensures they will share in his standard of living (rejecting argument of no assurances children would be "actual beneficiaries" of the order)]

Allocation of "standard of living" support obligation:
Each parent is supposed to pay child support according to his or her ability and "circumstances and station in life" (Ca Fam § 4053(a) & (d). Thus, the parent with a higher standard of living has the obligation to ensure his or her children share in that lifestyle. [Marriage of de Guigne (2002) 97 Cal.App.4th 1353, 1363-1364, 119 Cal.Rptr.2d 430, 438-439--H's child support obligation properly based on his $25-40 million in non-income-producing assets which credible expert testimony established could be liquidated in part to ensure his children shared in his "lavish lifestyle"; County of Stanislaus v. Gibbs (1997) 59 Cal.App.4th 1417, 1427, 69 Cal.Rptr.2d 819, 825]

A noncustodial parent cannot be forced to pay child support beyond his or her means simply to match the custodial parent's new "station in life" (as where custodial parent remarries into wealthier social position). [Chapin v. Super.Ct. (Chapin) (1966) 239 Cal.App.2d 852, 856, 49 Cal.Rptr. 199, 202]

Formula support decrease on account of "extraordinarily high income" payor:
Notwithstanding legislative intent that minor children share in both parents' standard of living (Ca Fam § 4053(f)), Ca Fam § 4057 authorizes a decrease in the presumptively-correct formula amount of support when the obligor parent's "extraordinarily high income" yields a formula amount of support that would "exceed the needs of the children" (Ca Fam § 4057(b)(3).

Basically, you're screwed.

IAAL

S

seniorjudge

"Basically, you're screwed." 1 Guide to Child Support 283 (IAAL; 2005)

Please include citations from now on.

crawford05

-I AM ALWAYS LIABLE: Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. And, it appears that yes, I am indeed screwed.

-seniorjudge: Good one.

crawford05

In regards to the post from "PARADISE", the more I thought about your response to my inquiry, the more bothered I became.

My understanding of the intention of this site is to provide legal help and/or advice to people who are not lawyers, not familiar with certain laws and are stepping into uncharted territory. This defines my situation and was the reason I posted my question.

Without knowing me, you took it upon yourself to assume my nature and integrity as a person, and judge, insult and degrade me. I looked at your profile and you spend quite a bit of time on here. I read several of your posts and they all seem to have the same re-occurring theme. It appears to me that you have taken this site and turned it into your own personal sounding board to cut people down. I'm sure this was not your intention when you began giving your responses, but it seems that you have run into the same questions over and over again and have become jaded and calloused to others misfortunes.

Please remember why you starting answering questions on this site in the first place. I'm sure it was because you wanted to help people. What you are doing now is quite the opposite.

And again, thank you "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" for your response. It was helpful and answered my questions. I appreciate the time you spent to help me further understand my situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">