• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA-Medical Insurance after CS stops?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

st.even

What is the name of your state? CA

I'm the NCP, so I want to know if I'm legally required to pay for health insurance after my son turns 18 and is is a full time college student. I include the judgement for child support as the preliminary statement. The subsequent statement concerning health insurance follows.

Child Support Judgement:The judgement of dissolution states

"pursuant to Civil Code 196.5 child support shall continue as set forth above and extend to any unmarried child who attained the age of 18, is a full-time sudent, and resides with a parent, until such time as he comletes the 12th grade or attainns the age of 19, whichever comes first".

Medical Insurance statement

"Respondent is ordered to maintain for the benfit of the minor child all medical, dental and hospital insuranxce to pay premiums thereon, to maintain...under such policy".

My son graduated HS in June, 2006 and will be 18 in July, 2006.
I know that my CS ends at the end of July, 2006.

My question is what is the legal definintion of MINOR child in the state of CA, since this is the only reference to how long health insurance is paid for by the respondent.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Thank-you.
St.even

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Health insurance would end at the age of 18 however my question is this -- wouldn't you want your child to be insured medically while away at school because overall it would be less expensive for everyone involved and would insure that he could get adequate medical care while in college? Not because you are ordered to but because it is what a parent does?

nextwife

When I was in college, I obtained health coverage through a student program at the university. Have you kid check out whether you can transfer him to such a program, as odds are, your employer plan will limit how long you can continue to cover your adult child on your plan.

rmet4nzkx

This is sort of the reverse of the usual post secondary education child support questions, you are not being asked to continue to provide child support or help with colege expenses or provide room and board.
California in general, doesn't have a post secondary education child support option in family law that doesn't mean the children who have attained majority and are attending college somehow become non persons or that their parents don't continue some forms of parential responsibility whether it is legislated or not or whether or not there is a divorce. For the purpose of financial aid, the parents finances is still a factor, whether or not their is a court order or whether or not a parent is prepared or able to assist finacially. It was not all that long ago that the age of majority was 21 and even Social security paid survivors benefits to college students who qualified. Unfortunately there are advantages and disadvantages to every situation. If you are already providing medical insurance that is available through your employment as a benefit, then it might behoove you to continue that as long as your child qualifies, as even fairly common emergencies can result in huge medical and ER bills. If your child is employed and attending school and qualifies for medical insurance theough his employment, then it might be something to consider, but most part time jobs don't provide this benefit at least in the begining. If you are obtaining his medical coverage on an individual basis and not on some sort of a family plan then it might be worthwile to look into medical insurance available through the college or if he is attending college in CA, through the county, each county has medical plans. If the CP has medical available through their work, then he might be added to that plan. Also both parents might split the cost of insurance. THere are many options so that your son has insurance and you don't want to have your relaitonship sour because you suddeny refuse to consider their welfare.

I raised two very active young men, who used their medical several times before they reached 23 while they were in college, in fact one was in a serious accident and would still be paying for his hospital bills if he didn't have insurance, the other after he was out of the USMC was working full time but did not have medical coverage yet because he was in the 1st 6 months on the job but it was due to start in the next month, burned his hand with hot oil when it got too hot and exploded, resulting in a trip to the ER and subsequent treatment and about $1500 in medical bills, these things happen, to top it off, his employer terminated him, guess who had to help their adult son out?

st.even

Thank you all

Great advice from all of you.

Yes I would want my child to be insured. My son has current insurance through his mom, which I pay 100% of the portion that adding my son to her existing policy costs her.

I dont know what the age limits are on the current policy from my ex-wife employer; however, my son mentioned getting health insurance through the University, so Im not sure what is going on with his mom.

If I am to provide him health insurance, I will have to wait until he has no further coverage, since my employer charges an additional $100 on top of any increases in premiums for having them provide health insurance while he is covered with another carrier.

Thank all of you again.

rmet4nzkx

st.even said:
Great advice from all of you.

Yes I would want my child to be insured. My son has current insurance through his mom, which I pay 100% of the portion that adding my son to her existing policy costs her.

I dont know what the age limits are on the current policy from my ex-wife employer; however, my son mentioned getting health insurance through the University, so Im not sure what is going on with his mom.

If I am to provide him health insurance, I will have to wait until he has no further coverage, since my employer charges an additional $100 on top of any increases in premiums for having them provide health insurance while he is covered with another carrier.

Thank all of you again.
I am glad you are seeing the wisdom in continuing medical insurance even after your child support obligation ends, at this point any financial assistance can be directly to your son. Also, don't be surprized if he comes to live with you at some point in the future or that it will take more than 4 years to complete a degree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">