• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Calculation for Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohiostate

What is the name of your state? MO

Is child support based on a % of my salary or is it a set amount? If I am $40,000 and then take a job that makes $65,000 and my ex-wife salary stays the same, what happens to the required child support payment? Can the child support agreement be based on the ratio of my salary between my salary and my ex-wife salary?

ohiostate said:
What is the name of your state? MO

Is child support based on a % of my salary or is it a set amount? If I am $40,000 and then take a job that makes $65,000 and my ex-wife salary stays the same, what happens to the required child support payment? Can the child support agreement be based on the ratio of my salary between my salary and my ex-wife salary?
You may want to try this link....It should answer your question without the guessing...

http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/Childsupport/missouri/

eatonsl

I just went through this with my ex, if you have a salary increase and your ex does not go to court, your support won't change but if your ex takes you to court, they will increase your support since you had such a large increase in your income. They have a formula that they use that includes all sorts of things but primarily it is based on your current income and her current income.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
eatonsl said:
I just went through this with my ex, if you have a salary increase and your ex does not go to court, your support won't change but if your ex takes you to court, they will increase your support since you had such a large increase in your income. They have a formula that they use that includes all sorts of things but primarily it is based on your current income and her current income.
So you know for a fact that Indiana guidelines are the same as Missouri's? If not, this "advice" is moot.

eatonsl

Per my attorney, there are minor differences from state to state but the basics of needing the fathers current income and needing the mothers current income are across the board. If this is wrong information then don't get mad at me, I am just quoting a very well known and successful lawyer. As far as this being a "moot" point, this is just offering advise, no one has to take it or like it, I was just answering his question to the best of my knowledge, maybe you should try answering his question instead of giving me a hard time. At least I was trying to help.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Critter answered the question in the best way possible - with an online calculator.

And your lawyer is, sadly, mistaken. There are states that only use the NCP's income in calculating CS. There are states that use the amount of time each parent has the children. And so on and so forth on the differences. He may consider them "minor", but to one who has to pay based on his/her state's guidelines, the differences can be huge.

It's great to want to help. But providing incorrect info is worse than providing none at all.

Silverplum

stealth2 said:
Critter answered the question in the best way possible - with an online calculator.

And your lawyer is, sadly, mistaken. There are states that only use the NCP's income in calculating CS. There are states that use the amount of time each parent has the children. And so on and so forth on the differences. He may consider them "minor", but to one who has to pay based on his/her state's guidelines, the differences can be huge.

It's great to want to help. But providing incorrect info is worse than providing none at all.
Not that Stealth needs me to, but I totally agree with and second her post.

Inaccurate info is the worst. Here's a link to give you an idea, and get you started in learning something about how CS is calculated and the differences between states:
http://www.guidelineeconomics.com/about/whichstate.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">