• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Calif. Child Support Services (can anyone share thier experience?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorba Linda Mom

What is the name of your state? California

I am opening a case with Child Support Services, Orange County.
Has anyone opened a case? I am not receiving any public assistance. NCP is 6 months behind in child support. Mostly interested in how long it will take... is there a long waiting period? Do they more concentrate on Welfare cases?

butcher boy

been there on the other side!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they focus on the cases that RE IN NEED OF ASSISTANCE. I have been a ncp for nine years. In my oppinion it's easrier to go to the ncp and tyr to come to some agreement. If the ncp is worth their salt the will do what they say. But obviousliy their not, so if you get on state aid the state gives you money and they go after the ncp for past and present support. But if you have an agrement without the state you are S.O.L. .. Excpet if you go to back to court and get a judgement for nonpayment then proceed for triing to get a wage garnishment. It didn't go that far with me but I was on the other side of page.. Igot cought up in the red tape and tried to eastablish paternity wich took 3 years to eastablish.. So if you want to make very tuff for the ncp get aid. It's easy go enroll in junior colleage or try get on some form of aid for day care medical insurance of some sort from the state. In other words If your a leech on socitey they"state " bends over backwards. Other wise take the ncp to court for failer to comply with a court order........ Rember it's only money that you need for the child. But they don't see that it's tough to manage a career and raising a child by yourself..Good Luck

Last edited:
All I have to say is DO NOT hold your breath when dealing with Orange County Child Support Services! It took them six years to track down my ex. even though I gave them the address, employer, photo, and ss#. To top it off I even had a private DNA test done so I would not have to wait another six years for them to do that. I learned the hard way you need to call once or twice a week to get any type of enforcement. The squeeky wheel gets the oil.

Good Luck

Militarybrats

I filed my child support case in la county, so i obviously don't know how the oc court system treats child support cases. BUT, in my situation, it took 3months from the time i filed to the court date. the courts went back to when i filed as to when the new order would take place. what i would suggest is to to keep calling, calling, calling!!! is it what they can't find your ex to serve him or is it aking too long for the initial process??

Yorba Linda Mom

I do have a CA court order, states how much he has to pay in child support and 1/2 of medical expenses. Sounds like that helps? Simply, his new wife does not want him paying me the child support.
We were married 6 years, no question of who the Dad is!
By the way, I am now filling out the paperwork to open a case.
My case is not yet open. Noticed it was difficult just getting them to mail the forms!!

VeronicaGia

Yorba Linda Mom said:
I do have a CA court order, states how much he has to pay in child support and 1/2 of medical expenses. Sounds like that helps? Simply, his new wife does not want him paying me the child support.
We were married 6 years, no question of who the Dad is!
By the way, I am now filling out the paperwork to open a case.
My case is not yet open. Noticed it was difficult just getting them to mail the forms!!
If you already have a court order for support, why not just file a contempt of court action against him?

Yorba Linda Mom

I work full time, it is difficult for me to take days off. What you are referring to, a contempt of court, do I have to get an attorney to do that? Does it cost $$ to do?

Rufie

I'm in Orange, CA and use Riverside Child Support Services. Due to where we lived at the time of our divorce.
I'm in my fourth month of not receiving support and filed a complaint form with them that they are not enforcing the order. My kids father is working (But he says for Free) Yeah!His boss loves him like a kid and obviousky will do anything for him. So , CSS sent another wage assignement, job search , verfication employment out which they never sent back so now it goes to the legal department and will take another 90 days.

This is on a guy that has worked at the same placed for 2 years and used to get support on a regular bases from this company and it still is taking them this long. You will have to be patient. It is very hard. This happens to me every 2 years or so and I always write a letter and the Program Improvement Team gets involved. Caseworkers don't seem to scare the non paying parent. So, you need to just call and bug them . Good Luck!

Yorba Linda Mom

Hi Rufie!
Thanks so much for your reply. Have you read the CSS handbook? Doesn’t he care that they will take his driver’s license, ruin his credit, put a lien on whatever stuff he has? Also, they will go after his income tax refund, any hope there?
I am sorry this has been so difficult for you, but to me, without spending $$ it is the best option.

Rufie

True not spending money sounds Great. Although two teenagers that are very active in sports, cheer (all that stuff)should not have their lives altered becuase Dad decided to move in with a lady with 3 kids and now a 1 year old they had together. I will not allow this to change how the kids were brought up.

He is not one bit scared of CSS. He has had his license taken away. A few years ago when he was unemployed for a year(Thats how long they took) Got it right back. He is $56,000 in arrears so not sure if he cares about anything.
You learn to be as patient as you can and bite your tongue infront of the kids when he is going to Las Vegas, driving up in a new car ,buy a diamond ring for Christmas for his Girlfriend, etc. It's hard! Thank God I have a Very Supportive Hubby, NOW!

Yorba Linda Mom

I too have remarried. Good guy. He is very proud of me for finding CSS and opening a case. I have discussed with him that it may take a long time. Just making steps towards a solution helps a lot. So taking your advise, I will be patiently waiting. Did they inform him that you did open a case? If so, how long did that take?
i am thinking a lot will happen once he knows I opened a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">