• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California CS -2 Children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DMNCP

What is the name of your state? California

I am paying child support for 2 children. The wording of the divorce decree is " $x,xxx per month...continuing as to each said child until each said child reaches majority, dies, marries, becomes self-supporting, emancipated or until further order of Court, whichever first occurs. Pursuant to Family Code Section 3901, child support is to continue as set forth above and extend as to any unmarried child who has attained the age of 18, is a full time high school student, and who is not self-supporting, until the time the child completes the 12th grade or attains the age of 19 years, whichever first occurs."

The amount of child support is a single number, and I have been paying slightly more than that since the start date.

My oldest child graduates from high school in June and turns 18 in July. Upon his 18th birthday, can I cut the child support in half or am I obligated to continue paying the specified amount until my younger child turns 18 in two years?

bononos

DMNCP said:
What is the name of your state? California

I am paying child support for 2 children. The wording of the divorce decree is " $x,xxx per month...continuing as to each said child until each said child reaches majority, dies, marries, becomes self-supporting, emancipated or until further order of Court, whichever first occurs. Pursuant to Family Code Section 3901, child support is to continue as set forth above and extend as to any unmarried child who has attained the age of 18, is a full time high school student, and who is not self-supporting, until the time the child completes the 12th grade or attains the age of 19 years, whichever first occurs."

The amount of child support is a single number, and I have been paying slightly more than that since the start date.

My oldest child graduates from high school in June and turns 18 in July. Upon his 18th birthday, can I cut the child support in half or am I obligated to continue paying the specified amount until my younger child turns 18 in two years?

You are OBLIGATED to file to modify support .
You can't just pay half on your own, the order must be changed through the courts.
Maybe head to the court house and see how long it takes to set up to modify. You may want to file prior to the birthday. Not sure if CA will allow it, but worth a shot checking into.

MrsK

Check a state calculator and run the numbers. You will see if its worth filing for a modification or not. C/S for two children will not be cut in half upon the older child turning 18 (or whatever the qualifications are in different states) because USUALLY c/s for one child is a certain amount and they add a small amount on for a 2nd child. For example, my ex, for 2 children, should pay a base of $833, for one child it would be $535- more than 1/2 of what 2 children would cost.

If there hasnt been any recent modifications, and your salary has increased a lot since the order was last modified, it may not be worth it to change the support order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">