• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California state law question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tommybell

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

Hi I just recently moved to california from oregon. I currently have an order for child support from oregon giving me 146.00 a month. Can i apply for child support in california, because by my calculations i would be receiving 500$ a month and i could really use the extra money. What do the state laws say regarding this. If anyone can help that would be great

thanks

haiku

you do nto mention but if the other party to your order still lives in Oregon, oregon would continue to hold jurisdiction over your case.

even if you could have your order enforced in Ca. Ca. would likely just uphold Oregons ruling. This is done to avoid parents moving from state to state looking for better support custody "deals".

rmet4nzkx

tommybell said:
What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

Hi I just recently moved to california from oregon. I currently have an order for child support from oregon giving me 146.00 a month. Can i apply for child support in california, because by my calculations i would be receiving 500$ a month and i could really use the extra money. What do the state laws say regarding this. If anyone can help that would be great

thanks
Nice try, no cigar! You should have thought about a number of things before you moved rather than how much you migh have got IF your child support order was from California.

I am going to make some standard assumptions, You are not moving from Ashland to Yreka a short (4o min each way/80 mi rt) and reasonable distabnce that would not essentially change standard visitation but rather moving from Portland to San Diego which is potentially the distance but less than it might be.

I am going to assume that you currently have standard visitation every other weekend and 1 mid week day and 6 weeks summer and every other or split holidays etc, whether or not visitation is exercised, this is the potential available for the other parent, also realize the moving parent is responsible for transportation.

I am going to assume the child is too young to travel by air alone so a parent is going to be driving a very long round trip, incurring additional costs of hotel even if parents meet half way. Why? From Mapquest each trip would take Total Est. Time: 16 hours, 18 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1084.43 miles, or an estimated cost based on fuel $2 p/gal 20 mpg or approximately $217 p/rt twice a month or $434 plus cost of motel for 2 nights $200 IF you are lucky plus loss of income to the NCP in order to make the trips so instead of them giving you some money you could really use, you actually potentially owe them $700 + per month.

Now what are the other inplications, did you get permission to move? Did you move to interfere with visitation? If that is the case you could lose custody and owe the other parent child support. I hope you have a real good job, a good attorney and that you had permission before you moved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">