• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can arrears be forgiven?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ash31075

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

I am the CP and I would like to know if I am able to forgive the NCP's child support arrears. No money is owed to the state. If it is possible, what is the procedure to do so?

Thanks

ash31075

The reason i'm asking is because i've heard both yes and no, so I'm confused. Some say that child support is due to me, therefore I can do whatever I want with it and it would be my choice to forgive it if I want to as long as none of it belongs to the state. Then others say no it can't be forgiven because it's for the child and it would have to be in the child's best interest for it to be forgiven. So which is it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Silverplum

The reason i'm asking is because i've heard both yes and no, so I'm confused. Some say that child support is due to me, therefore I can do whatever I want with it and it would be my choice to forgive it if I want to as long as none of it belongs to the state. Then others say no it can't be forgiven because it's for the child and it would have to be in the child's best interest for it to be forgiven. So which is it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
When nobody answers your question, it often means that nobody knows the answer. We do not have any AK pros here, nor even a resident, to my knowledge. :eek: On the bright side, at least no clueless newbie from another state gave you bad info. ;)

GENERALLY, IF no money is owed to the State, the CP can forgive arrears.

Many attorneys offer free initial consultations. Check your local yellow pages and ask a couple of local family law attorneys.

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">