• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a child request child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VSPeck1

That may be how it works (others will have to comment), but where did it come about that the SS benefits are the CS in question?
Here is the issue. The Dad gets SS for his two sons and they do not see any "benefit" from it. For example, last month Dad wrote a check to the high school to pay for his son's lunch. The school will not longer accept checks due to so many of them being bounced. Dad knows this and tells his son to cash it anyway, which of course he cannot since it is written out to the school. The 17 year old wants out as soon as he can get out but since he will still be in high school, he cannot work and support himself so he has to live with someone and needs "support". He is an honor student and a good kid, having come from a set of parents that were found guilty of neglect and lost custody of him for awhile before the mother died. The great work of Child "Protective" Services put the boys back in the home. Child Protective Services have said that the conditions in the house are not severe enough to remove the kids again (the house is clean, there is pizza and ice cream in the fridge), yet there have been days when there is no milk, eggs, bread---nothing of any real nutritional value for the boys to eat. Both boys WANT to stay with their sister and dad occasionally allows that but then decides he wants them home and makes them come back. They are both stressed out about not having a real "home". Any ideas on what can be done, if anything?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The boy can wait until he is 18 and then move wherever he pleases.

The boy is NOT entitled to "child support". Get it?

tuffbrk

When the boy turns 18 yo, the SS checks will cime in his name as long as he remains in school. He's lasted this long, he can last a little longer.

VSPeck1

You can stop interfering with dads parenting for a start.
If I had not "interfered" these kids would have been in state custody some years back and likely would be in trouble with drugs and the authorities themselves. As it stands now they are both honor students and good citizens, whereas Dad can't get his ass out of bed long enough to take them to the Dr or dentist. When one of the boys went back home for 8 days in October, he was late for school two of those and missed one. When he stays with his sister or with me, he never misses school and is never late. I am just trying to get these boys some help so they can go on to college and be contributing members of society. I don't need your smart remarks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If I had not "interfered" these kids would have been in state custody some years back and likely would be in trouble with drugs and the authorities themselves. As it stands now they are both honor students and good citizens, whereas Dad can't get his ass out of bed long enough to take them to the Dr or dentist. When one of the boys went back home for 8 days in October, he was late for school two of those and missed one. When he stays with his sister or with me, he never misses school and is never late. I am just trying to get these boys some help so they can go on to college and be contributing members of society. I don't need your smart remarks.
Well then - good day to you!

OHRoadwarrior

Cut the drama. You already said CS said the conditions were okay. You need to continue focusing on helping them at home and less on getting your hands on money, before you allow them to move in at 18. Dad is the legal parent. You are correct, I am very smart. I realize you are in the gray area between love and greed.

Silverplum

Then speak with a local attorney (or two) about filing for full custody.

VSPeck1

Cut the drama. You already said CS said the conditions were okay. You need to continue focusing on helping them at home and less on getting your hands on money, before you allow them to move in at 18. Dad is the legal parent. You are correct, I am very smart. I realize you are in the gray area between love and greed.
Not about the money for me. I currently put 400 @ month into their 529's and pay for their orthodontia. (both have braces). I buy their clothes, shoes and feed them. I take them on vacations. I don't need nor want their money. When and IF the oldest moves out of his dad's, I don't want him to have to worry about supporting himself so that he can focus on his grades and school work. He is in the honor society and is very talented and it would be a shame for him to not be able to go to college. If he has any income from social security, it will give him an opportunity to save some of it so maybe he can go to school and live on campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">