• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a child request child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverplum

Then speak with a local attorney (or two) about filing for full custody. And child support.

Not about the money for me. I currently put 400 @ month into their 529's and pay for their orthodontia. (both have braces). I buy their clothes, shoes and feed them. I take them on vacations. I don't need nor want their money. When and IF the oldest moves out of his dad's, I don't want him to have to worry about supporting himself so that he can focus on his grades and school work. He is in the honor society and is very talented and it would be a shame for him to not be able to go to college. If he has any income from social security, it will give him an opportunity to save some of it so maybe he can go to school and live on campus.
*Nominates VSPeck1 for sainthood*

tuffbrk

SS is paid until you complete high school or turn 18 yo. Whichever comes first. However, if you remain in school (college), it continues.

You do realize that with you assuming responsibility for the boys, the school (teachers, guidance counselor) have no clue that there is anything amiss at home? It's a catch 22, really. There will be no way to prove neglect, etc. exists at home if they're good students, dressed decently, clean, etc.

Good luck to the boys.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
SS is paid until you complete high school or turn 18 yo. Whichever comes first. However, if you remain in school (college), it continues.

You do realize that with you assuming responsibility for the boys, the school (teachers, guidance counselor) have no clue that there is anything amiss at home? It's a catch 22, really. There will be no way to prove neglect, etc. exists at home if they're good students, dressed decently, clean, etc.

Good luck to the boys.
Really? Looks like the SSA disagrees with you and will cut them off no later than 19yo. :cool:

When you start receiving Social Security retirement or disability benefits, other family members also may be eligible for payments. For example, benefits can be paid to your spouse:

If he or she is age 62 or older; or
At any age if he or she is caring for your child (the child must be younger than 16 or disabled and receiving Social Security benefits on your record).

Benefits also can be paid to your unmarried children if they are:

Younger than 18;
Between 18 and 19 years old, but in elementary or secondary school as full-time students; or

Age 18 or older and severely disabled (the disability must have started before age 22).

If you should die, your family may be eligible for benefits based on your work. Family members who can collect benefits include a widow or widower who is:

60 or older; or
50 or older and disabled; or
Any age if he or she is caring for your child who is younger than 16 or disabled and receiving Social Security benefits.

Your children can receive benefits, too, if they are unmarried and:

Younger than 18 years old; or
Between 18 and 19 years old, but in an elementary or secondary school as full-time students; or

Age 18 or older and severely disabled (the disability must have started before age 22).
Kids and Families

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">