• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Child Support Arrears Be Forgiven?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samuelm

I stated that it is not a total forgiveness....

"And actually they will not forgive the whole amount, just a good portion of it, like 90%."

I am not sure what it does to your credit, but if you are seriously in arrears, this is a great option to have some breathing room again. Arrears show up on my credit now, so for me, it can only help me.

Silverplum

State laws vary widely.

California is NOT the same as South Carolina. Neither is North Carolina.

Stop talking about CA law in a Carolina thread. :rolleyes:

Isis1

actually, if i remember correctly the program is called Compromise of Arrears Program. still, only a portion is excused. this is in regards to the total owed to the state in regards to cash aid received.

a CP can forgive arrears owed specifically to them at anytime should they so chose to do so.

but what SP said....:D

mommyof4

State laws vary widely.

California is NOT the same as South Carolina. Neither is North Carolina.

Stop talking about CA law in a Carolina thread. :rolleyes:

And Samuel, before you say that the OP is in CA...

I currently live in California, but child support case is filed in South Carolina.
The bolded, underlined, italicized is what matters.

TinkerBelleLuvr

The OP has stated that he PAID the child support - just that he paid it directly to mom instead of thru the state. If that is the case, mom can declare to the state how much was paid. The key will be if mom received any cash assistance.

Sammy, in your case, it sounds like you are/were in ARREARS. Way different than paying mom and the state not knowing about it. Suggest that you go back into your corner and just read and study.

confuseddad9254

ok that is what I am hoping. My question was**************.what forms do i need to have her fill out? So that I have something in writing, and an official document signed by her that I am up to date on my payments? I just want something in writing. Im not trusting her word anymore. See where that got me. I want something in writing from her, possibly a legal document signed and notorized, that I can send to the South Carolina courts. i saw someone said the acknowledgement of satisfaction, but i dont think that will work, since we are not trying to remove the child support lien completely, just make it up do date. Does anyone know anything about a notice of matured installment? or anything else that can be used?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">