• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can child support end if daughter moves out and drops out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reqless607

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana/Missouri

My ex wife, despite sharing joint custody with me and disobeying our parenting plan, has allowed our 16 year old daughter to move in with her 19 year old boyfriend in a neighboring town. They are hiding this from me but our daughter as well as her mother aren't very smart about the information they post publicly online so I just found out.

Our daughter also was allowed to drop out of high school which is illegal at her age in Missouri where they live but no one will do anything about it so Im in process of taking her to court for contempt, a switch in custody, and asking her to be charged with educational neglect.

In the rare event that my ex wife continues getting away with murder and I do not get my way, I am wondering if I can request child support be stop for our daughter?

The child support order is based in Montana but my daughter is lives in Missouri during the school year.

If I don't get custody, I have read that in Missouri a child is allowed to move out at 17, which she surely will if still living there and if not forced to go to school by the courts-will surely drop out again....She is not a mature child, drinking, doing drugs ect

So if this scenario happens, can I ask the child support be stopped?

Please don't be rude in comments; I have been there and am there for her, I have always paid support on time, paid everything she has ever needed extra or wanted. I will continue to do so and would prefer paying support as apposed to our daughter ruining her life. I am paying thousands in attorney fees to try to ensure her future and fix what has been allowed to happen.:(

I am just curious because if her and her mother want to hide things from me and not talk to me as long as she is getting what she wants, I don't feel like I should contribute to her delinquency not that her mother would give her any of the money anyway.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana/Missouri

My ex wife, despite sharing joint custody with me and disobeying our parenting plan, has allowed our 16 year old daughter to move in with her 19 year old boyfriend in a neighboring town. They are hiding this from me but our daughter as well as her mother aren't very smart about the information they post publicly online so I just found out.

Our daughter also was allowed to drop out of high school which is illegal at her age in Missouri where they live but no one will do anything about it so Im in process of taking her to court for contempt, a switch in custody, and asking her to be charged with educational neglect.

In the rare event that my ex wife continues getting away with murder and I do not get my way, I am wondering if I can request child support be stop for our daughter?

The child support order is based in Montana but my daughter is lives in Missouri during the school year.

If I don't get custody, I have read that in Missouri a child is allowed to move out at 17, which she surely will if still living there and if not forced to go to school by the courts-will surely drop out again....She is not a mature child, drinking, doing drugs ect

So if this scenario happens, can I ask the child support be stopped?

Please don't be rude in comments; I have been there and am there for her, I have always paid support on time, paid everything she has ever needed extra or wanted. I will continue to do so and would prefer paying support as apposed to our daughter ruining her life. I am paying thousands in attorney fees to try to ensure her future and fix what has been allowed to happen.:(

I am just curious because if her and her mother want to hide things from me and not talk to me as long as she is getting what she wants, I don't feel like I should contribute to her delinquency not that her mother would give her any of the money anyway.
You apparently aren't planning on being there to PARENT. If your minor daughter DROPS out that is a change in circumstance. If your MINOR DAUGHTER moves out, that is a change in circumstance. Quite frankly you look like you want to get out of supporting your child. If she is still a minor, YOU will CONTINUE paying child support. Be happy about that.

Reqless607

She is currently is both dropped out and moved out. And, I beg to differ that I simply do not want to pay support and don't want to "parent" I would suggest that of her mother from the looks of things, she does not want to parent our child she wound rather she live with her 19 year old boyfriend instead of being a parent, while I spend thousands of dollars bringing her to court just to try to make sue our daughter receives an education and doesn't become a teenage druggie mom. Just because I ask a question about support doesn't automatically make Someone an uncaring parent, that is ignorant to suggest

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She is currently is both dropped out and moved out. And, I beg to differ that I simply do not want to pay support and don't want to "parent" I would suggest that of her mother from the looks of things, she does not want to parent our child she wound rather she live with her 19 year old boyfriend instead of being a parent, while I spend thousands of dollars bringing her to court just to try to make sue our daughter receives an education and doesn't become a teenage druggie mom. Just because I ask a question about support doesn't automatically make Someone an uncaring parent, that is ignorant to suggest
If you want to parent then you go to court for custody and prove what you are alleging. You didn't mention the 19 year old boyfriend in your custody thread when I last read it. Nor did you mention that your daughter was on drugs. So prove what you are saying. Prove your daughter is living with her boyfriend and should be with you. Prove your daughter is on drugs and mother has done nothing.

Reqless607

I only found out about her living with her boyfriend 2 days ago, hence why it wasn't a concern in earlier threads. As for proof, I think you latched onto something I did not asked about. I simply was curious about support, nowhere did I say I didn't have proof or that I couldn't prove anything. I have over 193 pages of evidence that my attorney has and will be shown in court, I didn't know this forum was court and I had to bring personal evidence and give extra details about my case not pertaining to my question. I simply had a question I was curious about that I couldn't ask my attorney about this week (and attorneys cost money, I don't call every time a random thought pops in my head) but I see you are more interested in arguing about other things you do not need to know about and casting judgement rather than answering questions.

LdiJ

I only found out about her living with her boyfriend 2 days ago, hence why it wasn't a concern in earlier threads. As for proof, I think you latched onto something I did not asked about. I simply was curious about support, nowhere did I say I didn't have proof or that I couldn't prove anything. I have over 193 pages of evidence that my attorney has and will be shown in court, I didn't know this forum was court and I had to bring personal evidence and give extra details about my case not pertaining to my question. I simply had a question I was curious about that I couldn't ask my attorney about this week (and attorneys cost money, I don't call every time a random thought pops in my head) but I see you are more interested in arguing about other things you do not need to know about and casting judgement rather than answering questions.
Clearly you don't realize how impossible it is to give anyone any valid answers to a question, in a vacuum. The backstory really DOES matter nearly all of the time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Clearly you don't realize how impossible it is to give anyone any valid answers to a question, in a vacuum. The backstory really DOES matter nearly all of the time.
Especially since if he informed his attorney about a MINOR living with a boyfriend, the attorney could have filed an emergency motion to have the child living with a parent. That could definitely be considered an emergency in many jurisdictions. And I have to question what state has jurisdiction over custody since child support is through Montana.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
WAIT A MINUTE!!!

In one of your earlier threads, you state that you are the AUNT in the posted situation. Care to explain how you morphed into a Dad over several threads? Or are you still posting for you cousin?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
WAIT A MINUTE!!!

In one of your earlier threads, you state that you are the AUNT in the posted situation. Care to explain how you morphed into a Dad over several threads? Or are you still posting or you cousin?
Apparently this is either one person trolling or at least two people sharing one account. Which either one sucks. And again shows lack of credibility on the part of OP.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
not that her mother would give her any of the money anyway.

Um, the money is intended to reimburse Mom for the money she has spent on the child. What makes you think the money is supposed to go to the child? Ever?

Ladyback1

AHHHHHH....the hypocrisy!

Since you aren't getting your way, you want to sever your parental financial obligation.

You do realize that the amount you paid in previous months/years does not come close to providing EVERYTHING for the child. Child support is not meant solely to give to the children. It is to provide for their needs--you know, the basic stuff: roof over their head, food, clothing, education, etc.

(I'm not advocating any child move out, quit school, etc. However, you want things YOUR way or else you'll take your child support away. Don't work that way buddy! If you are in MT, why don't you pay a surprise visit to MO--yes, I DO know how far it. I'm originally from AR and currently live in MT! If you are as concerned as you say, then you should put your money where your mouth is--so to speak)

CJane

Dad deleted his previous thread, rather than answer the questions asked in that thread. However, in that old thread (at least a couple weeks old), he stated that the child was living with the boyfriend (so he did NOT just find out about it), and that the child hasn't been in school for a year. Also, that the child IS technically enrolled in an online school, though she's not "logging in".

In that thread, he also did not want to change custody - only for the court to order Mom to send the child to school.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Dad deleted his previous thread, rather than answer the questions asked in that thread. However, in that old thread (at least a couple weeks old), he stated that the child was living with the boyfriend (so he did NOT just find out about it), and that the child hasn't been in school for a year. Also, that the child IS technically enrolled in an online school, though she's not "logging in".

In that thread, he also did not want to change custody - only for the court to order Mom to send the child to school.
Lovely. So he doesn't want to parent. That would be too much work for him. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">