• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can child support be obtained from me, if i am not on the birth certificate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Xennith

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I was informed of my girlfriends pregnancy a while back. She has since then broken up with me, left the city, parish (county) and has recently left the state and now lives in Florida. I don't know 100% for sure, but there has been a hell of a lot of talk about my name (the father) not being on the birth certificate. Can she legally get child support through the state from me? A paternity test was never done. I have never denied the child as mine because I simply do not know.

Also, what would signing my rights over accomplish as far as getting out of having to pay child support? Because I simply cannot afford it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Ryan
Louisiana

XNavyLT

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I was informed of my girlfriends pregnancy a while back. She has since then broken up with me, left the city, parish (county) and has recently left the state and now lives in Florida. I don't know 100% for sure, but there has been a hell of a lot of talk about my name (the father) not being on the birth certificate. Can she legally get child support through the state from me? A paternity test was never done. I have never denied the child as mine because I simply do not know.

Also, what would signing my rights over accomplish as far as getting out of having to pay child support? Because I simply cannot afford it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Ryan
Louisiana
If it's your kid, PAY THE SUPPORT, get a 2nd, 3rd job. make that kid your NUMBER ONE priority in life. NUMBER ONE. You took your pants off, not take some responsibility!!!!

getting out of having to pay child support?
I HATE THIS STATEMENT!!!!!

Take responsibilty for your actions, DAMMIT!!!!

Xennith

Calm Down

I understand what you are saying. I'm not going to abandon my own child. That would be sick. The fact of the matter is that I have no idea if the child is mine. I don't want her to attack me through the state if its not mine OR if it IS mine. I don't want her to attack me through the state at all. Is there anything I can do to prevent her from doing this or block that route of hers? I'll send her money on my own.

Just Blue

I understand what you are saying. I'm not going to abandon my own child. That would be sick. The fact of the matter is that I have no idea if the child is mine. I don't want her to attack me through the state if its not mine OR if it IS mine. I don't want her to attack me through the state at all. Is there anything I can do to prevent her from doing this or block that route of hers? I'll send her money on my own.
Why would you send money before parernity is established? Has the child been born yet? If s/he has been born, file a motion, in the county that the child lives in, to establish paternity/custody/support....Once you have LEGALLY been established as Daddy, Florida will issue a child support order per state guidlines.

GrowUp!

I don't want her to attack me through the state if its not mine OR if it IS mine.
She can't. Each state has guidelines in place that will determine the amount each parent is obligated to financially support their child(ren).

I don't want her to attack me through the state at all. Is there anything I can do to prevent her from doing this or block that route of hers?
Nope

I'll send her money on my own.
That would be stupid.

XNavyLT

In reading you post, you seem pretty sure the child is yours...is that right?

That's why I reacted the way I did. Have a DNA test done, if it's yours, take 100% responsibility, if the kid isn't yours an no Father is established, or steps up...it would be a REALLY manly thing for you to do in taking care of her and the child until the guy is found or steps up to the plate.

Paternity make ZERO difference as to who's name is on the birth cert (see Anna Nicole).

Sorry to unload a bit, I just HATE guys who don't take responsibility for their actions, and then the results of their actions. Good luck, and PLEASE do the right thing, the kid is counting on it!

Just Blue

In reading you post, you seem pretty sure the child is yours...is that right?

That's why I reacted the way I did. Have a DNA test done, if it's yours, take 100% responsibility, if the kid isn't yours an no Father is established, or steps up...it would be a REALLY manly thing for you to do in taking care of her and the child until the guy is found or steps up to the plate.

Paternity make ZERO difference as to who's name is on the birth cert (see Anna Nicole).

Sorry to unload a bit, I just HATE guys who don't take responsibility for their actions, and then the results of their actions. Good luck, and PLEASE do the right thing, the kid is counting on it!
If OP were to do the "manly" thing and support a child that is NOT his, KNOWING that child is not his, a court could find him de facto father and FORCE him to pay support untill child is 18.

XNavyLT

If OP were to do the "manly" thing and support a child that is NOT his, KNOWING that child is not his, a court could find him de facto father and FORCE him to pay support untill child is 18.

OK, GREAT. The child has someone in their life that took responsibility. Sounds fine to me. Too many kids out there who don't have anyone doing the right thing.

moburkes

OK, GREAT. The child has someone in their life that took responsibility. Sounds fine to me. Too many kids out there who don't have anyone doing the right thing.
The child has a MOTHER who needs to take responsibility, not a legal stranger.

faithnlve

The guy is trying, cut him some slack, he came in asking legitimate questions. I would advice him to get a DNA paternity by court order, then get a court order for visitation if it is his child. Plus if the child is his the birth certificate be changed to add his name as father. If the child is not his, then the mother should at least have an idea who the father is unless she slept with a 100 or more that month. It is not his responsibility to pay child support on someone elses child. But, in order to find out if it is his child and step up to the plate, he needs to get the dna, and go to the courts and file for all these motions. Faith

nextwife

If it's your kid, PAY THE SUPPORT, get a 2nd, 3rd job. make that kid your NUMBER ONE priority in life. NUMBER ONE. You took your pants off, not take some responsibility!!!!

I HATE THIS STATEMENT!!!!!
Take responsibilty for your actions, DAMMIT!!!!

Why are you carrying on? Mom could have had other guys also take their pants off. Just because dad had sex with her does NOT make him the father of THIS child.

"That kid" could just as easilly be someone elses for all he knows.

If I were a guy, I'd sure NOT send anything until paternity was established, and I'd file to share legal custody and I'd want to co-parent my child - not just be an ATM machine.

MrsK

And that is not the OP's problem. And even if it IS his kid, he doesnt have to see it. That is how the law works.

OP- Dont do a THING, dont send a PENNY until the court orders a DNA test. You can get majorly screwed if you do otherwise.

XNavyLT

OK...sheesh I'll stop "carrying on". I was a cop for 7 years, and I saw COUNTLESS kids, in horrible places, and LOTS AND LOTS of "Fathers" not taking any responsibility for their actions. OK, maybe I'm rushing to judgment, but I like to err in the side of helping, and protecting children. That's all. Go get a DNA test, quick/painless and $100.

I'll stop now.

GrowUp!

OK...sheesh I'll stop "carrying on". I was a cop for 7 years, and I saw COUNTLESS kids, in horrible places, and LOTS AND LOTS of "Fathers" not taking any responsibility for their actions. OK, maybe I'm rushing to judgment, but I like to err in the side of helping, and protecting children. That's all. Go get a DNA test, quick/painless and $100.

I'll stop now.
Oh please. There are plenty MOTHERS who refuse to take responsibility for their children's actions. Stroke that brush equally.

XNavyLT

Oh please. There are plenty MOTHERS who refuse to take responsibility for their children's actions. Stroke that brush equally.
MOST definitely!

I was just applying the brush to this OP, and expanding slightly

I said I'd stop....sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">