• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can CP request non-state owed arrears forgiven in NJ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ms. S

NCP arrears approximately $9,300 of which approximately $700 is owed to the state (per county welfare office).

Since case originally enforced through regular Probation, majority owed to CP. CP received TANF for only four months. CP and NCP have decided to reconcile. CP is requesting to close TANF, CS case and forgive arrears.

Once TANF closed, CP will request CS enforced through probation (so as to avoid non-state arrears mysteriously transferred to state arrears). CP would then want to close CS and forgive NCP's non-state owed arrears.

Is this possible in the state of New Jersey?

Thank you for your assistance.

Proserpina

NCP arrears approximately $9,300 of which approximately $700 is owed to the state (per county welfare office).

Since case originally enforced through regular Probation, majority owed to CP. CP received TANF for only four months. CP and NCP have decided to reconcile. CP is requesting to close TANF, CS case and forgive arrears.

Once TANF closed, CP will request CS enforced through probation (so as to avoid non-state arrears mysteriously transferred to state arrears). CP would then want to close CS and forgive NCP's non-state owed arrears.

Is this possible in the state of New Jersey?

Thank you for your assistance.

This is a bit of a different take on what you posted on another forum. :cool:

Could you please clarify?

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127209

CSO286

From: http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127209]Can You Reinstate Child Support in New Jersey

Can You Reinstate Child Support in New Jersey
My question involves child support in the State of: NJ

I initially began directly receiving child support for my four children through probation last year after separating from their father (we weren't married). My unemployment expired, couldn't afford childcare for our youngest two under three and had no choice but to apply for state aid for the first time in my life. My "worker" stated I had no choice but to sign away my child support over to the state in order to qualify for said aid.

The father has requested reconciliation with the stipulation that I cease child support. I was once told that if I close child support case I will NEVER be allowed to re-file. I am afraid that if things don't work out in the future he won't be held liable to support his children.

Is this true in the state of NJ?

Veeerrrryy interesting**************.

Ms. S

Thank you for taking the time to read other post on a different page/thread. Child support office has already cleared up that particular issue for me. I was advised I can re-file if necessary in the future.

I am only trying to do what's in the best interest of my children and at the same time stay off of government assistance which I dreaded applying for in the first place. It's terrible that I went from earning a great salary at a well known corporation to being laid off and left with small children to care of all the same time. I didn't anticipate losing my job, separating from the father, him ALSO losing his job, and my nest egg gone a few months after unemployment expired.... The father of my children and I were separated for a brief period and is the only reason I filed for child support.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in this matter. It is in the best interest of our children and our financial situation to reconcile. Neither of us can afford a lawyer at this time and would like to resolve this as soon as possible.

Serious answers only please. I'm sorry if my explanation/details and question is not clear. Allow me to reiterate:

Can the CP request the court forgive the NCP parent's arrears owed to them? (I understand NCP owes a small portion to the state and can't ever be erased.)

Isis1

Thank you for taking the time to read other post on a different page/thread. Child support office has already cleared up that particular issue for me. I was advised I can re-file if necessary in the future.

I am only trying to do what's in the best interest of my children and at the same time stay off of government assistance which I dreaded applying for in the first place. It's terrible that I went from earning a great salary at a well known corporation to being laid off and left with small children to care of all the same time. I didn't anticipate losing my job, separating from the father, him ALSO losing his job, and my nest egg gone a few months after unemployment expired.... The father of my children and I were separated for a brief period and is the only reason I filed for child support.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in this matter. It is in the best interest of our children and our financial situation to reconcile. Neither of us can afford a lawyer at this time and would like to resolve this as soon as possible.

Serious answers only please. I'm sorry if my explanation/details and question is not clear. Allow me to reiterate:

Can the CP request the court forgive the NCP parent's arrears owed to them? (I understand NCP owes a small portion to the state and can't ever be erased.)
absolutely. however keep in mind, it won't happen overnight. a motion will have to be filed. if the state is still handling the account, the arrrears will accrue. and they might move to suspend licenses. the quickest way? you and dad send money to pay off the arrears. since the money will come right back to you, it won't matter. and since that office takes so long (not slamming any child support office, they are overbooked) it might just be simpler.

LdiJ

absolutely. however keep in mind, it won't happen overnight. a motion will have to be filed. if the state is still handling the account, the arrrears will accrue. and they might move to suspend licenses. the quickest way? you and dad send money to pay off the arrears. since the money will come right back to you, it won't matter. and since that office takes so long (not slamming any child support office, they are overbooked) it might just be simpler.
I agree, and the same applies for regular support as well. The money will be coming right back into the household so why does it matter?

The whole idea of "I will get back together with you only if you stop child support and forgive the arrears" is quite suspicious to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">