• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can crohns disease be considered a disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suewin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? connecticut

My ex has filed paperwork to have my daughter emancipated per the final judgement of divorce, emancipation happens upon graduation from high school. My daughter has been diagnosed with crohns disease, would this be enough for child support to continue through graduating from high school, can I use this as a disability and have them continue it! Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My ex has filed paperwork to have my daughter emancipated per the final judgement of divorce, emancipation happens upon graduation from high school. My daughter has been diagnosed with crohns disease, would this be enough for child support to continue through graduating from high school, can I use this as a disability and have them continue it! Thanks
That would depend on a number of factors - but it would boil down to the severity. Can your daughter never expect to have gainful employment due to this?

Antigone*

While this is an illness, this is an illness that your daughter is going to have to deal with and manage for the rest of her life. Crohns disease is treated and can be managed.

If your daughter has graduated, then why shouldn't she be considered emancipated in accordance with your divorce decree? Do you expect him to continue paying CS into her adulthood?

suewin

Actually I do expect him to keep paying, because she may go on to college and so on...I was hoping now that she has been diagnosed that I could use that and they would continue child support. Per our divorce decree it is going to be very difficult for me to make him pay for college and now that expense is solely on me. I just thought I could use this as a disability as I understand it, child support has to continue if there is a disability.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually I do expect him to keep paying, because she may go on to college and so on...I was hoping now that she has been diagnosed that I could use that and they would continue child support. Per our divorce decree it is going to be very difficult for me to make him pay for college and now that expense is solely on me. I just thought I could use this as a disability as I understand it, child support has to continue if there is a disability.
Oh BROTHER. YOU have no obligation to pay for college!

Silverplum

Your logic is quite warped. I'm not even going to untangle it FOR you, because you know precisely where the tangle is.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh you are greedy and selfish. Seriously. That expense does not have to be on you. YOUR daughter could contribute to college. She could work, get scholarships and grants as well as loans.

suewin

Even if I got letters from her doctors and school transcripts to show that she has missed a lot of school because of this disease. She does work part time. I just read somewhere else that child support continues according to the divorce decree but if there is a disability then it will continue!

Antigone*

That is actually very selfish and wicked of you. You should encourage your daughter to do what she can to pay for her own education. In fact neither you nor dad have any legal obligation to pay for college.

Your daughter has a medical condition, not a disability. Sorry if you consider my comments rude but I have a daughter with a disability and it is quite inappropriate for you to think you can screw your husband by playing with words.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Even if I got letters from her doctors and school transcripts to show that she has missed a lot of school because of this disease. She does work part time. I just read somewhere else that child support continues according to the divorce decree but if there is a disability then it will continue!
Aren't you smart, thinking up this scam.

:rolleyes:

suewin

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I apologize for that, but I am just having a hard time now coming to the realization that child support is coming to an end and I will be out that money that I have become dependent on.

Antigone*

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I apologize for that, but I am just having a hard time now coming to the realization that child support is coming to an end and I will be out that money that I have become dependent on.
It is something you should have been preparing for. Dad was not going to be your cash cow forever.

It is now time for your daughter to become more self-sufficient. Now if her medical condition does progress into a true disability she can apply for benefits.

nextwife

BTW: The time to start saving to help with college is when they are born, not start griping about helping when they are graduating HS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">