• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can this be enforced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sometwo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I know my husband will probably never actually go for child support but Im asking this question just in case he ever ends up back in court or he gets taken back to court by his ex.

My stepson is 10 and has lived with my husband and I since he was 23 months old. In fact the orders state the child would reside with father and father's wife. The mother has not had visitation since January due to failing her drug test because the court orders state her visitation schedule depends on the mother remaining drug free.

Anyway she has never paid child support on stepson and even when it was brought up in the past has said she wont do it.

In the most recent order (which is a year or two old now) it says "mother further understands that she owes a duty of support to the parties' minor child and will notify father immediately when she has obtained employment so that she might contribute to the support of said child"

She has had employment off and on these last few years , has told my husband about it, but has never helped him with anything. One year she did get stepson his school supplies but that's about it. The only other money that was given was money she owed on his doctor bills which she never paid her share of either . ( fromwhere she commited fraud, got stepson's insurance cancelled that we were paying for therefore my husband and I ended up paying close to a thousand in medical bills for stepson by the time we were able to afford insurance for all of us. )

Anyway with the way that is worded , would he have to go into court and get a specific amount laid out by that judge or would he be able to go through the child support office and have them set an amount there . I was just wondering how that would work .

seniorjudge

Based solely on the facts contained in your post, this sounds like a hopeless cause.

Ma will never pay child support.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Based solely on the facts contained in your post, this sounds like a hopeless cause.

Ma will never pay child support.
Just to second that motion...
I'm owed over $113,000 in BACK child support. I'll never see a dime. But, like the lottery, it's nice to dream about it! ;)

sometwo

I figured he will never see any of that money, I was just wondering if he would have to go back to court and get the custody papers modified , (you know with a lawyer and the whole divorce, custody papers) or just take it to child support enforcement . I was wondering if child support enforcement could set a dollar amount or if they could only go after parent after other court had already set a dollar amount.

We havent heard from her in months now and its kinda nice that we can go on with normal lives and stepson is doing so much bettter now (teachers have all noticed a difference in him) but was just wondering in case this ever does come up.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Sometimes, you can win the battle, but lose the war. Choose your battles wisely - and weigh out all the costs, both financial and emotional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">