• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can ex stop child support on his own without change of custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sllewdlac

What is the name of your state? Georgia.

My 16 year old decided to live with his father because I'm "too strict". My ex-husband went to his lawyer and is filing for legal custody. In the meantime, his lawyer told him to stop paying child support. Can he do this without going to court to get primary custody?

Also, since he began a new job several years ago, his new employeer has been paying for his rent, his car and car insurance and his phone bill. Isn't this included as income if his company is paying this for him? I think the reason he's doing it this way is so he didn't have to pay as much in child support. I've asked him several times to show me his pay stub, which was required in our divorce papers. He has never done so. Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why haven't you filed contempt if he has not showed you his paystub. And where does he work that his employer pays his rent, car payment and insurance?

sllewdlac

Reason I didn't file contempt

He works for a privately owned wholesale warehouse company. The owners are from somewhere in Taiwan. They just pretty much pay for all of his expenses because according to my son he makes so much money for them. But isn't that illegal?

I never filed contempt because I didn't want to put my children through the drama, and family advice that it would be very expensive and I should settle with the 600 a month I was receiving.

rmet4nzkx

Remember that Georgia is the state where the wishes of a child over the age of 14 may be honored insofar as residential custody as long as the parent is fit. If mom wanted to bring up the issue of the additional income, she should have filed for a modification, then dad would have to provide the proof. Since the child has already moved in with the other parent and is filing to formalize the custody change, why should dad continue to pay child support that resides with him, at worst he might be ordered to pay arrearages?

BL

rmet4nzkx said:
Remember that Georgia is the state where the wishes of a child over the age of 14 may be honored insofar as residential custody as long as the parent is fit. If mom wanted to bring up the issue of the additional income, she should have filed for a modification, then dad would have to provide the proof. Since the child has already moved in with the other parent and is filing to formalize the custody change, why should dad continue to pay child support that resides with him, at worst he might be ordered to pay arrearages?
Yeah , I mean " get a grip " . Why should He ? You lookin for free money ?

sllewdlac

You're right

After thinking about it I realize you're right. I need to let it go. I'll just sign the papers and pray that's the best thing for my son. Thank you so much.

rmet4nzkx

sllewdlac said:
After thinking about it I realize you're right. I need to let it go. I'll just sign the papers and pray that's the best thing for my son. Thank you so much.
It is not worth thecost and struggle for 2 years. It is not unusual for a change in custody at this stage and they may in fact need each other for a number of reasons, one being the process of gaining maturity. Now dad will have to deal with the dad to day responsibilities of raising an adolecent male:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">