• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a father legally surrender his rights of a child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmckinney84

I am pregnant and due april'08. I currently live in North Carolina, I moved here just a month and a half ago from Hawaii where my unborn child's father lives. I didn't leave without telling, we both agreed that being with my parents and siblings would be easier for me at a time like this. He and I are not together. When I found out i was expecting his only option for me was abortion, but i refused due to personal beliefs. Now he is telling me that he is going to sign some documents to surrender his rights as the baby's father? I have researched and researched and can't find anything that allows a person to do this unless both parents are giving the child up for adoption or he agrees for a step-father to adopt the child. Which state will our situation fall under, hawaii or north carolina... she was conceived in Hawaii, will be born in North Carolina, but he lives in Hawaii. Please help me, the anxiety is not good for my pregnancy. Thanks so much.:confused:

fairisfair

I am pregnant and due april'08. I currently live in North Carolina, I moved here just a month and a half ago from Hawaii where my unborn child's father lives. I didn't leave without telling, we both agreed that being with my parents and siblings would be easier for me at a time like this. He and I are not together. When I found out i was expecting his only option for me was abortion, but i refused due to personal beliefs. Now he is telling me that he is going to sign some documents to surrender his rights as the baby's father? I have researched and researched and can't find anything that allows a person to do this unless both parents are giving the child up for adoption or he agrees for a step-father to adopt the child. Which state will our situation fall under, hawaii or north carolina... she was conceived in Hawaii, will be born in North Carolina, but he lives in Hawaii. Please help me, the anxiety is not good for my pregnancy. Thanks so much.:confused:
relax. he is full of crap. your research is correct.

Golfball

He's full of it. Unless there is someone else who will adopt the child, he can't simply surrender his parental rights.

Getting an interstate child support order might get interesting, though.

He can't terminate his rights and you can get a child support order.

You should do your best to be self-sufficient though--child support is never a guarantee.

Suzz

Jurisdiction

North Carolina will have jurisdiction over the case if the child is born there, and will retain jurisdiction as long as you and the child live there. That will only change if you and the child move to another state and you ask to have the case moved.

Also, everyone is correct ... he is just blowing smoke. He can't decide to give up his rights or responsibilities to the baby.

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">