• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can having child support modified effect current custody arrangement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missouridadof1

What is the name of your state?missouri, I am a single father of 1 beautiful little girl. I have soul legal custody of her and the mother is ordered to pay child support and 1/2 of all medical expenses. I have had custody of my daughter for 3 years now and the mother at the time of the custody hearing was only working a job for $7.00 an hour, so i settled on $25.00 a week, which she has not made but maybe 5 in the whole three years. I have learned that she has been working steadily for the last 6 months and has been making a substantial amount to the original hearing. I know she is probably not going to pay 1 cent of the support if i take her back, but in time i hope the state will be able to get it from her. If i do take her back to court will this set into motion a cause for the custody arrangement to be modified as well? The mother has seen her maybe a dozen times over the last year and a half. I have done nothing to discourage her from taking our daughter. In fact, I want my daughter to know her mother. But i feel the mother needs to be a participant not just physically but financially as well. Am i better off to just continue tracking how much the mother is behind in child support and when it reaches $5000.00 turn it over to the state? If anyone has any advice i would really appreciate it? thanks.

brisgirl825

Mom can always try to change custody but the odds are slim to none that a judge would actually change custody. She doesn't pay support(even at a worthlessly low amount) and she doesn't have a history of seeing the child. Don't worry about that.
You should definately get a modification going. I can't believe some of the incredibly low amounts of support awarded. Hopefully, that'll be changed. Why wait to get contempt of court going for the arrearages? She NEEDS to be paying. Just get it all done at once. They can tag on some extra for arrears payments and get an income witholding order.

GL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">