• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can he relinquish his rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tmontoya

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
iam a 21 yr old single mom at the moment the father of my child is married i didnt know this until after i was already pregnant. he has said that he ants nothing to do with my child and that in his eyes my child will never be his and that if tried to pursue a paternity suit he will relinquish his rights as a father that way he doesnt have to deal with my child so i just want to know if he can really do this???

fairisfair

iam a 21 yr old single mom at the moment the father of my child is married i didnt know this until after i was already pregnant. he has said that he ants nothing to do with my child and that in his eyes my child will never be his and that if tried to pursue a paternity suit he will relinquish his rights as a father that way he doesnt have to deal with my child so i just want to know if he can really do this???
No... he can not "really" do this.

He can chose to NOT exercise his parenting rights, but he will still be responsible to support his child financially.

This child may not be his is his eyes, but will be in the eyes of the court.

Just Blue

No, he can't. He doesn't have to have a relationship with the child, but he will be held LEGALLY financially responsible once paternity has been established and a court order for support is issued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">