• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I claim my child on my tax return even though I am not the custodial parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thesharkman1

My son now lives with his father. The divorce decree was set up that we alternate years for claiming him on our taxes. Now that his father is the custodial parent he is saying that I have no rights to claiming him on my taxes. I pay child support. The modification never mentioned anything about claiming him on either of our taxes. Am I still entitled to claim him?

ecmst12

If you have a court order saying that you alternate years claiming him, and dad is not providing you with the form you need to claim him, then he will be in contempt of the court order.

As far as the IRS is concerned, you can claim the child if you have the proper form from dad allowing it (8332 I think?). Without the form, the IRS rules say the parent where the child spends the most overnights is who gets to claim him.

mistoffolees

If you have a court order saying that you alternate years claiming him, and dad is not providing you with the form you need to claim him, then he will be in contempt of the court order.

As far as the IRS is concerned, you can claim the child if you have the proper form from dad allowing it (8332 I think?). Without the form, the IRS rules say the parent where the child spends the most overnights is who gets to claim him.
Yep. Here's the way it works.

CP has the right to claim the child under IRS rules (with very few exceptions). However, CP can give up the right to claim the child under IRS rules by signing an 8332 form.

If your court rode says that you get the deduction in even numbered years, then CP has to sign an 8332 form for those years. If they fail to do so, NCP can file for them to be held in contempt and ask the court to order them to sign and/or pay the difference in taxes.

Modification of one portion of an order does not automatically change other portions. If you alternated while you were CP, there's no reason to expect that you wouldn't alternate when you're NCP. If there was a good reason, the court would have had to change it in the order.

Tell CP that he must sign an 8332 form or you will be filing for contempt and asking for an order for him to pay all of your legal expenses, as well.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

CP has the right to claim the child under IRS rules (with very few exceptions). However, CP can give up the right to claim the child under IRS rules by signing an 8332 form.

If your court rode says that you get the deduction in even numbered years, then CP has to sign an 8332 form for those years. If they fail to do so, NCP can file for them to be held in contempt and ask the court to order them to sign and/or pay the difference in taxes.

Modification of one portion of an order does not automatically change other portions. If you alternated while you were CP, there's no reason to expect that you wouldn't alternate when you're NCP. If there was a good reason, the court would have had to change it in the order.

Tell CP that he must sign an 8332 form or you will be filing for contempt and asking for an order for him to pay all of your legal expenses, as well.
Concur and agree. Wholeheartedly!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

HOWEVER, the NCP will NEVER be eligible to claim HOH/EIC/Childcare credit on the child living with the other parent, no matter what the CP signs. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">