• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Be Forced To Take A Dna Test?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RMATT78470

I LIVE IN MARYLAND.

My question is if a woman I dated ten years ago suddenly wants child support from me because she thinks I am the father of her 10 year old son, taking into consideration that my name is not on the birth certificate but another man's is and that iIhave never taking a paternity test nor do i want to at this point.? What are my legal rights in this manner? my right to privacy etc.? Can i simply ignore her claims and continue with my life legally? Or does the court in Maryland possess the power to force me to answer to her charge with a paternity test or can I simply tell her to go take a hike?

rmet4nzkx

Yes, you can be forced to take a patenrity test and be responsible for child support from the time she files if you are proved to be the father or if you don't respond and default. If you are not the father she has to pay. If you are proved to be the father you can file for some form of custody usually joint legal custody and visitation.

brisgirl825

The court can order you to take a DNA test. If you refuse, you will be found to be the legal father by default and she will be awarded child support.

Practice consideration: A divorced mother seeking support from her previous husband, though not the biological father of the children, needs to seek out the biological father to see if he can be located as he is the one obligated to pay child support. Financial detriment must be shown in order for a non-biological father to be equitably estopped from denying the obligation to pay child support

This I got from Knill v. Knill in MD 1986

VeronicaGia

RMATT78470 said:
I LIVE IN MARYLAND.

My question is if a woman I dated ten years ago suddenly wants child support from me because she thinks I am the father of her 10 year old son, taking into consideration that my name is not on the birth certificate but another man's is and that iIhave never taking a paternity test nor do i want to at this point.? What are my legal rights in this manner? my right to privacy etc.? Can i simply ignore her claims and continue with my life legally? Or does the court in Maryland possess the power to force me to answer to her charge with a paternity test or can I simply tell her to go take a hike?
Yes, and it is to your advantage. First, if you are not the father you will have proven it (keep the DNA test results for the rest of your life). If you are the father, you will have to pay, but if you ignore the court order for the DNA test, you will be found the father by default. You will not be able to reverse this, and you will be paying for a child that you don't know is yours.

Never, ever ignore a court order. Never throw away the results of a DNA test regardless of the outcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">