• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get child support from my father if I am 20yrs old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

higginskr

I live in the state of Tennessee and my mother never filed for child support from my father because he had tried to beat my mother to the point that she would abort. He was also a drug addict and she was afraid the court would make me have to see him. I have met my father and he knows i am his daughter although his name is not on my birth certificate. So now I am 20yrs old and in need of financial assistance for school and other expenses. I was curious to know if there was any way that I could get any amount of child support from my father.

xylene

Child support is paid to parents, not children.

Your mother's inaction is the problem here, and her being an abuse victim did not preclude child support.

Lastly, what you "know" is irrelevant. Dad is not on the birth certificate and it is far too late to establish paternity legally, along with the fact that you are no longer a minor.

mistoffolees

I live in the state of Tennessee and my mother never filed for child support from my father because he had tried to beat my mother to the point that she would abort. He was also a drug addict and she was afraid the court would make me have to see him. I have met my father and he knows i am his daughter although his name is not on my birth certificate. So now I am 20yrs old and in need of financial assistance for school and other expenses. I was curious to know if there was any way that I could get any amount of child support from my father.
I agree with xylene. Child support is not going to happen.

As for the bolded part, it's call a 'job'.

OHRoadwarrior

If you cultivated a relationship with dad, you might get some assistance. Knowing what a rotten kid you are, I would not help though.

Humusluvr

If you cultivated a relationship with dad, you might get some assistance. Knowing what a rotten kid you are, I would not help though.
That's a pretty nasty thing to say to the OP. Nothing she posted indicated she was rotten.

She needs help paying for school. She asked a question. Sheesh, why do you think we're here, OH?

OHRoadwarrior

I'm 20 and I need money, can I make my dad give me money.

It implies OP tried to cultivate a relationship and failed, therefore is trying to just take it, or that OP wants no contact with dad, just wants to take his money.

I hate the new generation and their sense of entitlement.

ecmst12

If you need it for school, you are probably eligible for student loans or grants. You will probably need to work at least part time too. You can ASK your father if he's willing to help you out, but it doesn't sound like he's a stellar dad or that he's particularly wealthy. But the law generally does not require parents to support their ADULT children, except in rare circumstances when they are disabled. Some people get an order for child support when the child is a minor that says it will continue through college, but that is only possible if it's started when the child is still a child. And child support is paid to the parent, not the child.

Humusluvr

I'm 20 and I need money, can I make my dad give me money.

It implies OP tried to cultivate a relationship and failed, therefore is trying to just take it, or that OP wants no contact with dad, just wants to take his money.

I hate the new generation and their sense of entitlement.
I didn't read her post that way AT ALL. I read it as a person who's mom didn't receive child support, who is wondering if she has an option. It would have been fine to tell her she doesn't have the option to receive support, and explain that support is for parents who are raising children.

I hate when seniors jump an OP's post, and try to make them feel like crap for asking a question. There's one thing when an OP tells you off, it's another when they are asking for information.

Not cool at all.

Humusluvr

If you need it for school, you are probably eligible for student loans or grants. You will probably need to work at least part time too. You can ASK your father if he's willing to help you out, but it doesn't sound like he's a stellar dad or that he's particularly wealthy. But the law generally does not require parents to support their ADULT children, except in rare circumstances when they are disabled. Some people get an order for child support when the child is a minor that says it will continue through college, but that is only possible if it's started when the child is still a child. And child support is paid to the parent, not the child.
and you see, that was a GREAT answer to the question.....

xylene

Sorry if you feel I was inaccurately judgmental OP.
I think mom's terrible and negligent decision to not seek child support has left the OP financially disadvantaged.

I'm not sure that being upset over ones mom's history of severe abuse and violence and all that it cost is indicative of a generational or personal failing.

LilTwyt

You are unable to collect child support from your father. Your mother had to file prior to your graduating high school or turning 18, whichever came last.

That ship has sailed.

I have a son attending a middle tennessee university. He received grants and scholarships (ie HOPE scholarship) to pay for school and works for his extra money. At almost 20, he's self-supporting.

My point is, you don't NEED Dad's money; you need to earn your own.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are unable to collect child support from your father. Your mother had to file prior to your graduating high school or turning 18, whichever came last.
To be clear, even if mom HAD file prior to the child turning 18 or graduating HS, the child would still not be able to collect support.

gam

That ship has sailed.

I have a son attending a middle tennessee university. He received grants and scholarships (ie HOPE scholarship) to pay for school and works for his extra money. At almost 20, he's self-supporting.

My point is, you don't NEED Dad's money; you need to earn your own.
Wonder where that money for the grants comes from? Not self supporting if he is receiving grants and only working for his extra money. Neither you or your son is supporting him, lets be real here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">