• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be kicked out at 17 years old?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Miss_Fit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

--To begin I apologize if this is located in the wrong place, I'm new to the site and was unsure of where this topic should have been placed --

I'm 17 years old, and I will be 18 in November this year. I graduated high school and am trying to find a job. Recently there have been some events which led to my father being so disappointed with me that he didn't want to see me anymore. He threw out everything that reminded him of me, and if you have yet to guess by now, my father has a very short temper. I've ran away from home twice, both out of fear that my father would hurt me physically (which I have talked to the police about, and they just left me at the home with him), and he had said if I were to leave again he wouldn't let me back in the house. I spent three days after that conversation in my bedroom alone, no human contact, no food, and little to drink. I was getting depressed and near committing suicide, and when I was woken up by my dad on the fourth day because he was angry I had slept in, he started going on another of his "rampages," and again, I left the house out of fear.
After talking to my mom she says she isn't sure if he has realized me being gone over the night, but she is terrified because she doesn't want to lose me.
If I do come home, and my dad did realize I was gone, can he legally kick me out of the house?
From what I've read, he's responsible for me until I'm 18, but my dad doesn't listen to reason and even if I tell him this then he won't listen to me.

BL

--To begin I apologize if this is located in the wrong place, I'm new to the site and was unsure of where this topic should have been placed --

I'm 17 years old, and I will be 18 in November this year. I graduated high school and am trying to find a job. Recently there have been some events which led to my father being so disappointed with me that he didn't want to see me anymore. He threw out everything that reminded him of me, and if you have yet to guess by now, my father has a very short temper. I've ran away from home twice, both out of fear that my father would hurt me physically (which I have talked to the police about, and they just left me at the home with him), and he had said if I were to leave again he wouldn't let me back in the house. I spent three days after that conversation in my bedroom alone, no human contact, no food, and little to drink. I was getting depressed and near committing suicide, and when I was woken up by my dad on the fourth day because he was angry I had slept in, he started going on another of his "rampages," and again, I left the house out of fear.
After talking to my mom she says she isn't sure if he has realized me being gone over the night, but she is terrified because she doesn't want to lose me.
If I do come home, and my dad did realize I was gone, can he legally kick me out of the house?
From what I've read, he's responsible for me until I'm 18, but my dad doesn't listen to reason and even if I tell him this then he won't listen to me.
Why the name Miss_Fit ?

Seek out counceling with your school or a youth center.

I'm not entertaining a Miss_Fit using legalities over a parent's head.

Obviously the police weren't too conserned that your father is a danger to you.

Antigone*

Really, Miss Fit, you're seriously considering using legal means to go up against your dad? Do yourself a favor. Get a job and be responsible for yourself. You seem to come and go as you please already - you just can't have it both ways.

CdwJava

No, he cannot kick you out until you are at least 18 years old. Until then, you are a minor child and he is required by law to provide for you. He does't have to provide much, but he has to provide minimal basics.

As for the rest of what you are feeling, I strongly encourage you to seek counseling. Your county health agency should have a mental health office which can provide you with information on counseling or therapy that you might be able to access confidentially.

OHRoadwarrior

He can possibly have you declared an unruly child and processed according to state laws regarding that. This could include probation or a detention facility.

CdwJava

It is very difficult to have a child here referred to Probation for being out of control. The problem is further exacerbated by the fact that most counties have no facilities for status offenders and - by law - they cannot be housed within sight or sound of criminal offenders (i.e. Juvenile Hall is right out). As a result, while we have statutes that allow for a child to be taken into custody by Juvenile probation when they are out of control of their parents, there is nothing to be done with them.

That being said, the process can be sent before a court and the court could order the juvenile to abide by certain rules. Failure to obey that order can result in the potential for criminal incarceration. While this might be an option in theory, it has not been one that I have ever seen employed.

Just Blue

Not in California. Sorry, I should have clarified.
That is why the forum asks that VERY important 1st question.

BTW: I have applied my knowledge from my area to other state only to "eat crow":eek:

On FA we must keep in mind that every state has their own ways,

CdwJava

Not in California. Sorry, I should have clarified.
Yeah ... I was surprised. I heard of one attempt to apply jail time to a W&I 601 (status) offender based on a violation of a court order, and it turned out that he erred in doing so. So, there may actually be other sections that prevent jail (juvenile hall) me from being applied at least the first time.

CdwJava

That is why the forum asks that VERY important 1st question.

BTW: I have applied my knowledge from my area to other state only to "eat crow":eek:

On FA we must keep in mind that every state has their own ways,
This is why I don't reply to a great many state specific queries ... because I just don't know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">