• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be liable for back child support if I just found out the child is mine?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michael_S

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was recently contacted by an ex-girlfriend whom I haven't heard from in 11 years. She told me that she has an 11 year old daughter and that she is mine. If I follow up with a paternity test and this girl proves to be my daughter, could I be held liable for 11 years of back child support?

She said that she is married and that she and her husband take very good care of this girl and that she's not asking for anything. She just wanted to "get it off of her chest".

Your advice is much appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was recently contacted by an ex-girlfriend whom I haven't heard from in 11 years. She told me that she has an 11 year old daughter and that she is mine. If I follow up with a paternity test and this girl proves to be my daughter, could I be held liable for 11 years of back child support?

She said that she is married and that she and her husband take very good care of this girl and that she's not asking for anything. She just wanted to "get it off of her chest".

Your advice is much appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Unless mom has been on welfare at any time in the past 11 years, its very unlikely that you could be held liable for 11 years of back support.

In general, an arrearage would only go back to the date a child support case was filed if the state has not been supporting the child.

You may have a daughter out there...don't you want to know?

JustAPal00

I had the same thing happen to me except she fooled some other schmuck into believing he was the father. He married her and is my daughters legal father. I never would have known if they hadn't gotten divorced and her remarried. She told the second husband the truth, and when they were getting divorced he was going to try to use me as a witness in their custody hearing for a daughter they had together. She had to come clean so she called me one night and told me I had a 15 year old. Kind of a shocker, I was married at the time but my wife took it well. My daughter is 22 now and I see her from time to time. We're more like friends. She's a nice kid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">