+ Reply to Thread
    amberpvhs is offline Junior Member

Question Can I make my ex-husband pay 1/2 of my sons orthodontics?

Hi,
    I live in Alabama and I am wondering if I can make my ex-husband pay for 1/2 of my sons braces.
    My childs dentist has referred him to an orthodontist for braces because he says that my sons teeth are severely crooked (which they are) and the extent of the problem is going to cause tooth decay. The dentist says that the braces are needed due to save his teeth.
    My divorce decree reads that we each are to pay 1/2 of any necessary,reasonable and ordinary dental expenses. Will this be covered beings that the dentist deems this necessary and has given us a referral?
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    Seems like the order means he has to pay half.
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    You SHOULD consult more than one orthodontist on such an expenditure. Costs and approaches can vary as to how they accomplish the end result. Don't just slap on braces with the first guy you see and unilaterally decide to proceed. Get dad in the loop.
    Last edited by nextwife; 07-29-2009 at 08:26 AM.
    TheGeekess is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amberpvhs View Post
    Hi,
    I live in Alabama and I am wondering if I can make my ex-husband pay for 1/2 of my sons braces.
    My childs dentist has referred him to an orthodontist for braces because he says that my sons teeth are severely crooked (which they are) and the extent of the problem is going to cause tooth decay. The dentist says that the braces are needed due to save his teeth.
    My divorce decree reads that we each are to pay 1/2 of any necessary,reasonable and ordinary dental expenses. Will this be covered beings that the dentist deems this necessary and has given us a referral?
    I'm going to agree with the other two posters, and add this bit of non-legal advice.

By your name, I'm going to assume you live in the Greater Bham Metro Area (I attended PVHS at one point ). If so, then I'd suggest calling UAB's dental clinic and see how much they'll charge you for the braces. The work will cost less but the job will be done as well. (I have a bro & sis-in-law who did this with their two boys a couple of years ago.)
    Humusluvr is offline Senior Member
    Hi,
    Is dad denying the child needs braces? Have you asked him to pay half? Are you two talking about the child's needs?

Or do you want to make the decision all on your own, then stick it to him? I can't read your intent behind your post...
    xylene is offline Senior Member
    My divorce decree reads that we each are to pay 1/2 of any necessary,reasonable and ordinary dental expenses.
    Get a few second opinions and estimates

If you need to take dad to court, you will need proof that the treatment is

necessary: needed? This is established by the probable loss of teeth if not done.

reasonable: within reason. are the costs reasonable? Are they?

ordinary: is it typical? no questionable experimental care? No. It is braces.