• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I make my father pay for college?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nextwife

Hey - I presented FACTS in opposition to a number of repondents who were suggesting that this guy should 'just' work his way thru college and that his expectation that his DEADBEAT DAD should pay for school was some kind of ultimate filial ingratitude.

First, dearie,, you have no business calling him a "deadbeat dad". The poster never clearly stated that dad FAILED to pay court ordered CS. He said:

he doesn't even pay as much child support as he is supposed to,
This statement may also mean that the poster believes he should have an order to pay more than he's currently paying based upon his opinion. He did NOT state, to my knowledge, that any ARREARAGE existed.

And secondly, tell that to my sibling whose Ivy League degree, that nobody else helped pay for, was accomplished only three years ago.

fairisfair

Pay attention to exactly WHAT I was addressing in the last sentence. Not the rest of it.
You most certainly are not in a position to be giving directives on the board, or to instruct which posters may or may not address an issue. I don't give a flying crap whose friend you are.

mommyof4

You most certainly are not in a position to be giving directives on the board, or to instruct which posters may or may not address an issue. I don't give a flying crap whose friend you are.
That's okay. I didn't ask you to. But when you address me to try to chastise me, expect a response back. :)

fairisfair

That's okay. I didn't ask you to. But when you address me to try to chastise me, expect a response back. :)
If I want someone to chastise you, I will approach the moderator. If you have a problem with other people posting here, or following the forum rules of respect for each other, I would suggest that you do the same.

mommyof4

Fairisfair, I submit the same advice to you.

Xylene, I'm sorry. I will apologize. I did NOT read the title of your thread. The misunderstanding was solely on my part. I'm sorry.

Just Blue

You know...I leave you guy alone for 10 min to get a bottle of wine at the store..And look at what happens!!! :rolleyes:

Screw this...I am going into the kitchen to get drunk!! :p

TigerD

Hey - I presented FACTS in opposition to a number of repondents who were suggesting that this guy should 'just' work his way thru college and that his expectation that his DEADBEAT DAD should pay for school was some kind of ultimate filial ingratitude.
Your choice of words completely encapsulates the systemic bias against fathers in our society. According to the OP this father paid his child support completely. The OP just want him to pony up for college too. Refusing to fund a spoiled brat's four-year lark through drunken debouchary at an expensive private school is no grounds to name a father a "deadbeat dad." You should be ashamed of yourself.

Changes nothing about the FACT that in todays America it is just not a realistic prospect for an independant student to fund college by working while enrolled. Hasn't been for at least a decade - even for most state schools. To even suggest it is more naive than the original poster.
Are you stupid, dumb or dense? There are hundreds of thousands of students working their way through college. Yes it requires work and sacrifice. Has the national sense of entitlement gotten so pervasive that because something is difficult -- we should expect someone to do it for us?

Shay-Pari'e

Your choice of words completely encapsulates the systemic bias against fathers in our society. According to the OP this father paid his child support completely. The OP just want him to pony up for college too. Refusing to fund a spoiled brat's four-year lark through drunken debouchary at an expensive private school is no grounds to name a father a "deadbeat dad." You should be ashamed of yourself.

Are you stupid, dumb or dense? There are hundreds of thousands of students working their way through college. Yes it requires work and sacrifice. Has the national sense of entitlement gotten so pervasive that because something is difficult -- we should expect someone to do it for us?[

Uncalled for. Are you PMSing Debt GUY? LOL, I just read your state. You laugh at everyones credit report? Thank God mine has never come across your desk, you would get chills being so envy.

Last edited:

poedcaligirl

I paid for my own college education and my parents are still married.

I am still paying for my own college education and my parents are still married.

I worked FULL time and went to college FULL time to pay for the costs of living in California and to help suppliment the student loans i did not want to take out to live and get an education in California.

What is wrong with working and paying for your own living expenses and college education? Who will benefit from the degree besides you once you obtain it? Why then should you feel entitled to force another person parent or not to pay for it? Some parents choose to, your mother did. Some parents choose not to, my parents and your father do not.

Such is life. What would you do if your father could not afford to put you through college? Take that same course of action now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">