• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I make my father pay for college?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

I paid for my own college education and my parents are still married.

I am still paying for my own college education and my parents are still married.

I worked FULL time and went to college FULL time to pay for the costs of living in California and to help suppliment the student loans i did not want to take out to live and get an education in California.

What is wrong with working and paying for your own living expenses and college education? Who will benefit from the degree besides you once you obtain it? Why then should you feel entitled to force another person parent or not to pay for it? Some parents choose to, your mother did. Some parents choose not to, my parents and your father do not.

Such is life. What would you do if your father could not afford to put you through college? Take that same course of action now.

Why are you posting to a thread from 2007?? PLEASE DO NOT NECRO POST!

jenm1231

Thanks for your personal opinion on whether or not a parent is obligated to pay. However, I am looking for LEGAL ADVICE on this matter. I have heard of many cases where non-custodial parents were required to help fund their children's college education. If anyone knows of any Massachusetts laws or previous cases, could you please let me know.

And just so everyone knows, my mother would very much like to pay for college, she just doesn't have any money to do it with. My father has plenty of money, he just doesn't want to take care of his children. In fact, he doesn't even pay as much child support as he is supposed to, and I only talk to him about once a month because he is always jetting off on vacations, etc. So, it is not that I am shoving a college tuition bill at my parents. My mother has been very involved in the process and wants me to go. My father is the only one holding us back, and he just generally doesn't care about me or my well being.
I wish I saw this post back in 2007.. Yes the court can order your father to pay for College AND order child support during College. Mass is one of few states that make non custodial parents pay. Don't listen to these parents that are uneducated in the law. I know this for a fact because my husband was just ordered to pay for BOTH for his 18 year old daughter... It is never too late to make your father contribute and anyone who posts different,is an idiot!!!

jenm1231

and that is correct if there is a child support order. However, the op says there is no order. His mother had 18 years to get a child support order established.

In this case, dad is not responsible for paying for education. Even if he was, that does not mean that the kid could say, "i'm going to hillsdale. You owe _____". Junior needs to figure something else out. Less expensive school, alternative financing, job...many, many people have put themselves through college. If he is smart enough and qulified to be accepted to his school of choice, he is smart enough to realize that if wants it bad enough, he will work for it. "nothing worth having is ever easy or free".
all these people posting are complete idiots!!! Really??? Do any of you know the probate system in massachusetts. Actually you can make the both parents pay for college. A judge can order it and if you are in norfolk ,middlesex or worcester county,you can bet your butt, he will pay... You can take him to court without your mothers help if you are in fact 18. Also,your mother could have had the judge order him to pay for private school. My ex was ordered to pay. He is a former pats player...

cyjeff

all these people posting are complete idiots!!! Really??? Do any of you know the probate system in massachusetts. Actually you can make the both parents pay for college. A judge can order it and if you are in norfolk ,middlesex or worcester county,you can bet your butt, he will pay... You can take him to court without your mothers help if you are in fact 18. Also,your mother could have had the judge order him to pay for private school. My ex was ordered to pay. He is a former pats player...
Besides... we never said that a court couldn't make him pay.

What we said, if you read very carefully, that without the compunction of the court to do so, the father does not HAVE to.

You state yourself "a judge CAN order it"... until that time, no one has to pay anything.

Now, get yourself off to the calendar store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">