• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I make my father pay for college?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdemers16

What is the name of your state? MASSACHUSETTS

I am a high school senior and have gone to private boarding school for the past three years. My mother has paid for this all by herself without any help from her ex-husband (my father), because he refused to help pay. Now that I am going to college my mother and I have no money left, and need my father to pay. He is still refusing to pay, because I will be going to a private university next year, and he wants me to go to community college for two years. The other issue is that my father has a six figure salary, so I don't qualify for financial aid at most schools, even though he is not contributing to my tuition. He is basically trying to ensure that I don't go to college because he thinks that it is unnessecary. Is there any law that forces my father to pay for at least half of my college education?What is the name of your state?

nextwife

I am a high school senior and have gone to private boarding school for the past three years. My mother has paid for this all by herself without any help from her ex-husband (my father), because he refused to help pay. Now that I am going to college my mother and I have no money left, and need my father to pay. He is still refusing to pay, because I will be going to a private university next year, and he wants me to go to community college for two years. The other issue is that my father has a six figure salary, so I don't qualify for financial aid at most schools, even though he is not contributing to my tuition. He is basically trying to ensure that I don't go to college because he thinks that it is unnessecary. Is there any law that forces my father to pay for at least half of my college education?What is the name of your state?
Is there a court order requiring him to pay? Did he agree to send you to private boarding school, or was that Mom's choice?

Without a CO he has NO legal obligation to pay for boarding school or the private university you selected.

Most HS seniors who WANT their parents to assist them with tuition involve their parents in the college selection process (I know because many of our friends have kids in and finishing college, so we've seen them all go through the process over the past few years). I don't know ONE of their kids who simply selected a private university and demanded that their parent then PAY. I even have a sibling who has an Ivy League degree (school starts with a Y) - and they payed for it, not a parent.

Haver you applied for fellowships, scholarships or any financial aid?

sdemers16

There is no court order that states anything either way. Also, I did try to involve my father in the college process, but he just made fun of me for wanting to go to college. He refuses to be any part of it, and he even refused to submit the mandatory non-custodial parent's statement to the financial aid office. Because of this, my financial aid application is incomplete and I do not qualify for any financial aid.
Even if this man isn't obligated to pay for a private university, can he be required to pay the amount that it would cost to attend a state university?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
There is no court order that states anything either way. Also, I did try to involve my father in the college process, but he just made fun of me for wanting to go to college. He refuses to be any part of it, and he even refused to submit the mandatory non-custodial parent's statement to the financial aid office. Because of this, my financial aid application is incomplete and I do not qualify for any financial aid.
Even if this man isn't obligated to pay for a private university, can he be required to pay the amount that it would cost to attend a state university?
Your parents do NOT owe you a college education. There is no law requiring that. You are going to have to find another way to pay for college.

sdemers16

Thanks for your personal opinion on whether or not a parent is obligated to pay. However, I am looking for LEGAL ADVICE on this matter. I have heard of many cases where non-custodial parents were required to help fund their children's college education. If anyone knows of any Massachusetts laws or previous cases, could you please let me know.

And just so everyone knows, my mother would very much like to pay for college, she just doesn't have any money to do it with. My father has plenty of money, he just doesn't want to take care of his children. In fact, he doesn't even pay as much child support as he is supposed to, and I only talk to him about once a month because he is always jetting off on vacations, etc. So, it is not that I am shoving a college tuition bill at my parents. My mother has been very involved in the process and wants me to go. My father is the only one holding us back, and he just generally doesn't care about me or my well being.

jbowman

Thanks for your personal opinion on whether or not a parent is obligated to pay. However, I am looking for LEGAL ADVICE on this matter. I have heard of many cases where non-custodial parents were required to help fund their children's college education. If anyone knows of any Massachusetts laws or previous cases, could you please let me know.

FYI, I do believe you got LEGAL ADVICE. Dad is not obligated to pay for your college education unless he has been court ordered to do so. What you have heard are NCP's that were ordered by the court to do this.

Where do kids get this crazy sense of entitlement from? You are an adult now. Act like one.

Last edited:

mommyof4

I DID give you the correct legal answer. While it is true that college expenses are sometimes ordered to be paid, if there is not an existing order NOW, one will not be established solely to force him to pay for your college. Even if there is a child support order, if it does not specifically address college expenses or states that it ends at age 18 or graduation from HS, your mother would have to file to modify the order to cover those extra expenses.

I suggest you apply for financial assistance without using your parents' income information, apply for scholarships, grants, or...you guessed it, get a job.

TigerD

And just so everyone knows, my mother would very much like to pay for college, she just doesn't have any money to do it with. My father has plenty of money, he just doesn't want to take care of his children. In fact, he doesn't even pay as much child support as he is supposed to, and I only talk to him about once a month because he is always jetting off on vacations, etc. So, it is not that I am shoving a college tuition bill at my parents. My mother has been very involved in the process and wants me to go. My father is the only one holding us back, and he just generally doesn't care about me or my well being.
JOIN THE ARMY JUNIOR!

LdiJ

I understand your problem....but your mother is the one who needs to address it. She needs to consult a local attorney regarding the issue.

I really do understand your problem. You can't qualify for aid because of your father's income, and you can't qualify for student loans without your father's cooperation. IT STINKS.

Parents don't owe their children a college education unless there are court orders that say so, but at the same time parents who deny their children the opportunity to do it on their own are asswipes.

Tweet-tweet

parents who deny their children the opportunity to do it on their own are asswipes.
Ass-Whippoorwill -- This species of bird is well known for pushing it's offspring out of the nest so that they learn to fly ON THEIR OWN.

My advice: Start flappin', the early bird gets the worm.

While I realize by your post that you are a High School Senior and still child like in your thinking...Unless it is court ordered you can't MAKE your father do anything. If I were you, you may want to consider sucking up to Dad instead of referring to him as your mother's ex-husband...Maybe if you bond a little with your father he may see how important school is to you… even though he may feel it is unnecessary and help you...But if you show up at his door acting like a “entitled child” with your hand out, you are liable to have the door slammed in your face. Just food for thought!:) Always remember that parents aren’t just an ATM for your use and abuse, even though it is apparent to me at least by your post, that your Mother has directed you in this belief about your father…

Clod

Is the non-custodial parent required to help pay for college?

The Federal government does not consider the income and assets of the non-custodial parent in determining a student's financial need. However, it does consider child support received by the custodial parent.

Many private colleges do consider the non-custodial parent as a potential source of support, and require a supplemental financial aid form from the non-custodial parent. This affects the awarding of the school's own aid, but not Federal and state aid.

Whether divorced parents have a legal obligation to pay for their children's education depends on the state in which the divorce occurred. Several states have laws or case law that allow courts to order the non-custodial parent to help pay for college. These states include Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and West Virginia. States which prohibit the courts from ordering college support (except for enforcing a previous agreement between the parents) include Alaska, Nebraksa, and New Hampshire. (As of 2/2/2004, New Hampshire judges no longer have the discretion to order college support for adult children.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">