• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcrabby107

What is the name of your state?undefinedNew York. I am almost 21 years old, and have been in the new york foster care system for most of my life. When i was 17 years old i was able to get out and live with my brother. My mother recently told me that my godfather is my father, and he always knew it. When i confronted him he did not want to know me. Can i sue for back child support. I feel i deserve something for going through what i have been through, he should give me something...right????

dcrabby107

Can i sue????

dcrabby107 said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedNew York.
I am almost 21 years old, and have been in the new york foster care system for most of my life. When i was 17 years old i was able to get out and live with my brother. My mother recently told me that my godfather is my father, and he always knew it. When i confronted him he did not want to know me. Can i sue for back child support. I feel i deserve something for going through what i have been through, he should give me something...right????
I am really confused about this whole mess. There has to be something i can do about this. Can someone gice me legal advice?????

misslawli

You are in a position to do nothing. It was up to your mom to file years ago, and nothing can be done now. Sorry. :(

ENASNI

Sorry Charlie

It was up to your Mom to file... For her reasons she did not.
I am sorry your biofather is being such a Buttcheese, They can do that. I know mine was and still is...

Phnx02

dcrabby107 said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedNew York. I am almost 21 years old, and have been in the new york foster care system for most of my life. When i was 17 years old i was able to get out and live with my brother. My mother recently told me that my godfather is my father, and he always knew it. When i confronted him he did not want to know me. Can i sue for back child support. I feel i deserve something for going through what i have been through, he should give me something...right????
Unless either your mother or your godfather (father) filed for paternity and child support, there is nothing you can do. If there ever was an order for child support, it was to be paid to your mother, and although it was for your care, you cannot collect individually. From the sounds of it, this was never filed anyways. Unfortnately, you cannot go back and file for retroactive child support. This was your mother's responsibility to do before you turned 18, and could only collect if you were in her care anyways. If she did have an order, but you've been in FC all this time, any money paid would have gone to the state for reimbursement.

What you should do instead, is look into any programs available for foster care kids that have "aged out of the system". There are a few new government paid programs for people like you such as money for college, including room and board, or just financial assistance in getting your own apartment and job training.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">