• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Sue For Being Jailed Not Guilty ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Terp1983

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York. I'll make this as short as possible. If anyone answering needs more information, I'll re-post asap.
I was found guilty of a willful violation of child support. I served 30 days in jail and purged out with 5,000$. I appealed the family courts ruling. I won my appeal with the supreme court. They stated I wasn't represented properly and if I was properly represented the sentence may have been mitigated. They reversed the willful violation and remitted it back to family court. At family court on June 5th 2015, the judge stated he was ordered to reverse the verdict to not guilty on a willful violation. He asked my ex wife if she wanted to proceed with another hearing to determine this, and for me to have a new layer represent me properly. She declined and stated she had no proof that I willfully violated. The case was dismissed and I was found "not guilty" of a willful violation. Can I sue the lawyer or county for imprisoning me and afterwards being found not guilty. I never should have been to jail in the first place. Now, before anybody responds. I'm not here looking for smart remarks or your "negative remarks". I'm looking to see if I can sue. So in that case, don't ask about my personal life or respond with anything other than yes, no, or a legitimate response in why I can or can't. THANK YOU

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York. I'll make this as short as possible. If anyone answering needs more information, I'll re-post asap.
I was found guilty of a willful violation of child support. I served 30 days in jail and purged out with 5,000$. I appealed the family courts ruling. I won my appeal with the supreme court. They stated I wasn't represented properly and if I was properly represented the sentence may have been mitigated. They reversed the willful violation and remitted it back to family court. At family court on June 5th 2015, the judge stated he was ordered to reverse the verdict to not guilty on a willful violation. He asked my ex wife if she wanted to proceed with another hearing to determine this, and for me to have a new layer represent me properly. She declined and stated she had no proof that I willfully violated. The case was dismissed and I was found "not guilty" of a willful violation. Can I sue the lawyer or county for imprisoning me and afterwards being found not guilty. I never should have been to jail in the first place. Now, before anybody responds. I'm not here looking for smart remarks or your "negative remarks". I'm looking to see if I can sue. So in that case, don't ask about my personal life or respond with anything other than yes, no, or a legitimate response in why I can or can't. THANK YOU
That's not how it works here.

Feel free to pay an attorney to tell you what you want to hear. Make sure he has a nice, hefty retainer.

You're welcome.

Terp1983

so you people enjoy being negative.....GOTCHA. Moving on.....terrible

Ladyback1

Oh, you see---when you post on a public message board/forum, YOU do not get to dictate the responses you receive.
If you want to dictate the answers, then you should seek private counsel and PAY that counsel for their assistance.
If you don't want to deal with whatever answers you may get, and/or whatever responses you get, then DO NOT post on internet forums.
And learn to be polite, if you do post on message boards!!:rolleyes:

Proserpina

Oh, you see---when you post on a public message board/forum, YOU do not get to dictate the responses you receive.
If you want to dictate the answers, then you should seek private counsel and PAY that counsel for their assistance.
If you don't want to deal with whatever answers you may get, and/or whatever responses you get, then DO NOT post on internet forums.
And learn to be polite, if you do post on message boards!!:rolleyes:

You know the worst thing? In one post it managed to gloss over its faults, parade its success like Tom Brady, and then demanded our volunteers go along with its self-righteous indignation.

(It probably needs a dictionary for the long words there)

And then whines when we don't tell it what it wants to hear! Amazing!

single317dad

You know the worst thing? In one post it managed to gloss over its faults, parade its success like Tom Brady, and then demanded our volunteers go along with its self-righteous indignation.

He has a much more extensive thread down the street. It's not any less ridiculous :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Post here... http://forum.mensdivorce.com/viewforum.php?f=7

I'm sure the guys will set you straight.

I suspect you got off on that technicality. Count your blessings and move on. And support your child. By hook or by crook.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
That's not how it works here.

Feel free to pay an attorney to tell you what you want to hear. Make sure he has a nice, hefty retainer.

You're welcome.
IF this is his idea of a "negative remark", then he really does need an attorney and pay a nice, hefty retainer - and have $ for when it runs out.

OP got off because his ex declined to help pursue the case. OP would have reason to think he had a case if he were up to date on support and still ended up in jail. OP would have sympathy if he'd been making payments of some sort, not enough, and had a pending petition to modify child support. But OP doesn't argue THAT. Nope. Have to assume OP hasn't been following the order.

Instead, OP doesn't pay child support, gets punished, and is allowed out because ex doesn't want to say it's willful. Guess what? HER motivation might be that she doesn't like the idea of the father of her child(ren) being in jail, or labelled a "criminal". Doesn't mean the OP hasn't actually been willfully violating the child support order.

Silverplum

He has a much more extensive thread down the street. It's not any less ridiculous :)
Big Man pays a grand total of $40/month, including $12.50 toward his arrears of more than $18,000. And has a current wife/gf who is pg with their 2nd child. He thinks that since First Child's StepDad makes good money, he shouldn't have to pay for his own child.

No wonder he doesn't want to hear what we have to say. :cool:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How long after being declared disabled did you file for a downward modification?

Oh wait - you were denied disability, right?

Proserpina

Big Man pays a grand total of $40/month, including $12.50 toward his arrears of more than $18,000. And has a current wife/gf who is pg with their 2nd child. He thinks that since First Child's StepDad makes good money, he shouldn't have to pay for his own child.

No wonder he doesn't want to hear what we have to say. :cool:

WHOA. REALLY?!?!?!

He's whining about $40/month? I wonder if his child didn't have to eat during those times. Good grief - forty bucks? He can get that picking up cans for crying out loud!

Just Blue

WHOA. REALLY?!?!?!

He's whining about $40/month? I wonder if his child didn't have to eat during those times. Good grief - forty bucks? He can get that picking up cans for crying out loud!
But that would require WORKING!! Shame on you for suggesting such a thing! :p

Silverplum

"...like Tom Brady..." *snort!* :p:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">