• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue the Department Of Revenue and Child Support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Boston617Daddy

I live in Massachusetts, I have several children that have been put in the custody of the Deparment of Children and Families. Their mother filed for public assistance prior to said event, with the children included. Since I'm the father the Department of Transitional Assistance pit me on child support. Which didn't go into effect until after the children was taken. Months later DOR started pulling funds from my pay to pay child support. Then as time went by I decided to go and find out where my money was going since they are not in my care or their mother's, I felt that I shouldn't be paying child support. DOR didn't know of the kids whereabouts. As I started the process to get my money back, several notices came for accounts to be levied. I sent in the legal papers to get the child support order nullified. But after doing so I started more forms from the state for my accounts to be levied. They released one account but soon after levied it again. Can I sue them for wrongful leving my accounts and placing me on child support?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I live in Massachusetts, I have several children that have been put in the custody of the Deparment of Children and Families. Their mother filed for public assistance prior to said event, with the children included. Since I'm the father the Department of Transitional Assistance pit me on child support. Which didn't go into effect until after the children was taken. Months later DOR started pulling funds from my pay to pay child support. Then as time went by I decided to go and find out where my money was going since they are not in my care or their mother's, I felt that I shouldn't be paying child support. DOR didn't know of the kids whereabouts. As I started the process to get my money back, several notices came for accounts to be levied. I sent in the legal papers to get the child support order nullified. But after doing so I started more forms from the state for my accounts to be levied. They released one account but soon after levied it again. Can I sue them for wrongful leving my accounts and placing me on child support?

No.

Why you think you shouldn't have been supporting your children no matter where they lived, is beyond me.

Boston617Daddy

Support

I've always supported them. When they was in their mother's custody and in DCF custody. Now I have custody of them. An this levy has put hardship on my family. Or should I just let things run its course and let the judge decide what I should be paid back. Seeing how the chain of events that took my kids away from me in the first place.

Silverplum

I've always supported them. When they was in their mother's custody and in DCF custody. Now I have custody of them. An this levy has put hardship on my family. Or should I just let things run its course and let the judge decide what I should be paid back. Seeing how the chain of events that took my kids away from me in the first place.
Because your story is garbled, you should consult with a local family attorney in person. Many offer free initial consultations.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
You having custody would have been a handy thing to tell us in, y'know, your first post.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'd bet you're paying the state back for providing care for your children.

Boston617Daddy

I apologize for not being more clear. My ex filed for financial assistance from the state so she could get aid to go to school. We had a domestic incident which I was the victim of the event. The Deparment of Children and Families took my kids and placed them with my famil. I took care of them financially. I spoke to the Deparment of Revenue and they told me I never should have paid child support. I filed papers to get what they took back. They removed a levy, but several remain. And recently all levies have been increased and opened back the closed one. I should have a day in court soon. Would the judge address the issues with the levies and the funds that have been taken? An any other funds that I'd be awarded back for the false support order?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Who actually received the money? THAT is the person you need to seek compensation from.

Boston617Daddy

The DOR said the Deparment of Transitional Assistance was getting it, then they stopped and then my ex strated receiving it. But she has no knowledge of any of it. DOR said they was going to serve all parties in the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">