• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my dad?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmysarcasm

Fullerton, ca

When my parents filed for divorce the paperwork states that my father must pay child support till I am dead, married, or emancipated. He stopped paying child support a little over a year ago when I graduated high school. Can I sue him or somehow make him resume payments? also I havn't spoken to him in 3 years and I would like to keep it that way as much as humanly possible.

nextwife

Fullerton, ca

When my parents filed for divorce the paperwork states that my father must pay child support till I am dead, married, or emancipated. He stopped paying child support a little over a year ago when I graduated high school. Can I sue him or somehow make him resume payments? also I havn't spoken to him in 3 years and I would like to keep it that way as much as humanly possible.
YOU cannot sue him.

Write, word for word, EXACTLY what the order says. And whether any, later, modifications were ordered and what those said.

Antigone*

Fullerton, ca

NO you cannot sue your dad. Your father was never obligated to pay YOU a dime. Your problem is solved, you have no reason to contact your dad:rolleyes:

Proserpina

Fullerton, ca

Would also be curious to see this order.

Very curious.

And where, incidentally, is Mom?

CourtClerk

When you graduated high school, and turned 18, you became emancipated.

Nevertheless, the money doesn't/didn't belong to you, therefore you have no claim to it.

nextwife

I've never heard of an order for an able bodied adult that basically never ends unless they emancipate them self, die or marry. There has to be an Absolute end of child support if none of those events occur.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

I've never heard of an order for an able bodied adult that basically never ends unless they emancipate them self, die or marry. There has to be an Absolute end of child support if none of those events occur.
The wording the OP provided is only PART of a standard order.

nextwife

The wording the OP provided is only PART of a standard order.
I presumed as much. Obviously, our poster appears to have abridged the information provided. Which is why I asked EXACTLY what it really says.

And whether he had any subsequent orders, because he may have filed and received an order ceasing child support. In which case what was in the order at divorce is no longer relevant.

luvmysarcasm

no one ever beleives me
i have the certified copy in my hand and it has not been modified since 1997

"once the property is sold Respondent shall pay to Petitioner the sum of $500 for the minor child (my name) and the sum of $500 for he unborn child. Said sums shall continue until the death, marriage, emanipation of the minors or until further order of the court."

thats the only paragraph that talks about child support
my brother, the 'unborn child at the time, died a few years ago

Im turning 20 in a few months
Im living with my mom till I finish college
and if I can't sue him then can she

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
no one ever beleives me
i have the certified copy in my hand and it has not been modified since 1997

"once the property is sold Respondent shall pay to Petitioner the sum of $500 for the minor child (my name) and the sum of $500 for he unborn child. Said sums shall continue until the death, marriage, emanipation of the minors or until further order of the court."

thats the only paragraph that talks about child support
my brother, the 'unborn child at the time, died a few years ago

Im turning 20 in a few months
Im living with my mom till I finish college
and if I can't sue him then can she
YOU were emancipated. WHY is that so hard for you to COMPREHEND? You are an adult. Deal with it. He no longer has to pay child support.

luvmysarcasm

ohiogal

this is the most common definition of emancipation I have read

"EMANCIPATION - When a minor has achieved independence from his or her parents, often by getting married before reaching age 18 or by becoming fully self-supporting. "

Im not independent from one of my parents, im not married and im not self supporting.

so how am I emancipated?

if its wrong then you just have to say so I dont know anything about this legal stuff
THATS WHY I AM ASKING

Last edited by a moderator:

MCDATX

When you graduated high school, and turned 18, you became emancipated.

Nevertheless, the money doesn't/didn't belong to you, therefore you have no claim to it.
HELLO?? Your answer was right here. Learn to read before you call anyone out like that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
this is the most common definition of emancipation I have read

"EMANCIPATION - When a minor has achieved independence from his or her parents, often by getting married before reaching age 18 or by becoming fully self-supporting. "

Im not independent from one of my parents, im not married and im not self supporting.

so how am I emancipated?

if its wrong then you just have to say
I dont know anything about this legal stuff
THATS WHY I AM ASKING
You are emancipated because you are 18 and not in high school any longer. THAT is the definition for child support. As for the rest of your rant, grow up.

Last edited by a moderator:

frylover

I'd like to know just how long the OP thinks the old "gravy train" should have continued to roll into his station!

His attitude also sounds a lot my husband's ex. She, too, had the old "why don't you just go away and leave us alone.....but you'd better send money" thing going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">