• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my father?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

assebian_gomis

Hello everyone, I'm a US citizen born abroad. My dad left me and my mom when I was 5 and didn't take care of me until I was 14 years old. He wanted me to live with him and after he disappeared again. First of all, I inherited the sickle cell disease which is a genetic disease from my dad, my mom can't continue to pay for my medecine,. Secondly h'se destroyed my us passport and other files, but I could renew these document in the us embassy. Finally, in august my mom sold her house to make me come in the united states. I've been learning english at the columbus state university, but now I can't afford to continue my studies. I really don't want to destroy my life, I want to go to school. So I would like to know if I can sue my dad for child support or something like that? because I don't have another choice. Because the problem is that he has a lot of money, he is millionaire and pay the school of my half/brother and sister. Sorry for my bad english.

Silverplum

Hello everyone, I'm a US citizen born abroad. My dad left me and my mom when I was 5 and didn't take care of me until I was 14 years old. He wanted me to live with him and after he disappeared again. First of all, I inherited the sickle cell disease which is a genetic disease from my dad, my mom can't continue to pay for my medecine,. Secondly h'se destroyed my us passport and other files, but I could renew these document in the us embassy. Finally, in august my mom sold her house to make me come in the united states. I've been learning english at the columbus state university, but now I can't afford to continue my studies. I really don't want to destroy my life, I want to go to school. So I would like to know if I can sue my dad for child support or something like that? because I don't have another choice. Because the problem is that he has a lot of money, he is millionaire and pay the school of my half/brother and sister. Sorry for my bad english.
No. Child support is between the parents: if your Mother didn't get a child support order, she let her rights slide.

Proserpina

You may want to learn more about sickle cell trait (versus disease). A good place to start is here: http://www.medicinenet.com/sickle_trait_and_sickle_cell_disease/views.htm

How old are you?

justalayman

No. Child support is between the parents: if your Mother didn't get a child support order, she let her rights slide.
there is one state where that is not true in all circumstances but since OP is living with mom, it would remove that one state anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">