• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my father for back child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzykat

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hi, I'm 19 years old and I'm about to start college. Because I am a high school drop out, my father no longer pays child support. But then again he barely did anyways. I'm tired of my mom having to deal with the finacial strain and would like to know if I can sue my father for the back child support to help me with college funds.

ICUB4ER

Most of us would realize that when we turn 18, we are adults now and would get a J.O.B., grant, loan, etc. to pay for our college.
Once we turn 18, our parents have done their job and are no longer financially responsible for us.

AHA

Izzykat said:

Hi, I'm 19 years old and I'm about to start college. Because I am a high school drop out, my father no longer pays child support. But then again he barely did anyways. I'm tired of my mom having to deal with the finacial strain and would like to know if I can sue my father for the back child support to help me with college funds.

Well, if you hadn't dropped out of HS, you wouldn't have put your mom in financial strain then. How does it feel to have screwed your mom over???

BelizeBreeze

o.k. this has gone on long enough.

The answer to the original post is YES, you can sue anyone for just about anything. Your chances that the case will be dismissed for lack of standing however, is great.

Your MOTHER however, if arrears are due, can sue for them and any other support that has not been paid. However, she will be required to produce documentation as to the amount of arrears owed.

Also, if your father dies before the statute of limitations expires (and florida has no such SOL) then a claim can be made against the estate. Again, proof of the arrears must be provided the Probate Court.

abstract99

I think that a lot of kids these days think that if they can get into court for back child support that it will be paid in some lump sum payment as if they just won the lottery. Maybe they should move the age of legal adulthood to 40.

fairisfair

abstract99 said:
I think that a lot of kids these days think that if they can get into court for back child support that it will be paid in some lump sum payment as if they just won the lottery. Maybe they should move the age of legal adulthood to 40.
Yes, and a lot of Non Custodial parents who get away with not paying their child support, have in effect, just won the lottery.

GrowUp!

Izzykat said:

Hi, I'm 19 years old and I'm about to start college. Because I am a high school drop out, my father no longer pays child support.
Because you are emancipated. Do you realize you are considered an adult at the age of 18 in the US (except in some states who seem to think differently)? Or do you expect the taxpayers of the state of FL to support you throughout your entire life for your educational failure? :rolleyes:

But then again he barely did anyways. I'm tired of my mom having to deal with the finacial strain and would like to know if I can sue my father for the back child support to help me with college funds.
Then it would be up to your mom to pursue the appropriate legal action -- if SHE chose to.

Last edited by a moderator:

fairisfair

GrowUp! said:
Because you are emancipated. Do you realize you are considered an adult at the age of 18 in the US (except in some states who seem to think differently)? Or do you expect the taxpayers of the state of FL to support you throughout your entire life for your educational failure? :rolleyes:

Then it would be up to your mom to pursue the appropriate legal action -- if SHE chose to.

or maybe NCP was never there to help him with his homework or help buy school supplies ?? Where does he say anything about getting any kind of state aid?
for god's sake, you seem fairly intelligent, why can't you get over this bitterness thing you have going on and just answer the questions??

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother was able to go to CSE and start an action against our legal father for the arrears that he owed to my mother for my brother and myself. But when the case was heard in court, our legal father only had to pay a portion of what was owed and the check was made to out to my mother... not to my brother. I don't know how that all worked out or if my mother ever had to get involved at all or not. I stayed out of it because I didn't really care about any of it... I had a job myself.:rolleyes: My brother didn't.:eek:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
fairisfair said:
or maybe NCP was never there to help him with his homework or help buy school supplies ?? Where does he say anything about getting any kind of state aid?
for god's sake, you seem fairly intelligent, why can't you get over this bitterness thing you have going on and just answer the questions??
Aid is an option to pay for college. As are federal loans, scholarships, grants, and a JOB. Grow UP! is right about that. And at 19 years old the OP is old enough to take responsibility for his own actions such as dropping out of high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">