• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I use for fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nh_wayne

New hampshire:

Can a father, who has full legal rights to his children, sue a stepfather for fraud because he signed legal documents pertaining to the children?

Thanks

justalayman

New hampshire:

Can a father, who has full legal rights to his children, sue a stepfather for fraud because he signed legal documents pertaining to the children?

Thanks
what "legal documents" are you referring to and did the mother give the stepfather a right to sign on her behalf?

nh_wayne

what "legal documents" are you referring to and did the mother give the stepfather a right to sign on her behalf?
Removing the kids from public school and placing them in private school without my knowledge or consent.

I know you are probably right, but it's sad that she can allow him to sign on her behalf. So then what is the point of me having any legal rights?

Thanks for your reply.

justalayman

Worth it? Yes, very subjective. I guess my goal is not having to pay for half the private school.
does your custody and support order address the possibility of private school costs?

Unless the mother gave permission for the stepfather to sign on her behalf, his signature means nothing.

Proserpina

Yup, pretty much. She always wants my money or anyone else's she can get.

Ummm...I was actually referring to you...

I think you have a legitimate beef. But I also think that you need to think outside of the wallet box for a sec. Ask yourself very honestly: Is this school better for my child? Is Mom going to be able to convince the court?

RRevak

Ummm...I was actually referring to you...

I think you have a legitimate beef. But I also think that you need to think outside of the wallet box for a sec. Ask yourself very honestly: Is this school better for my child? Is Mom going to be able to convince the court?
Pro, i'm kinda surprised this is your answer. Unless OPs order specifically addresses schooling and cost, OP is under no obligation to pay and that is something we tell people all the time (yourself included). So why nudge OP for not wanting to pay for private schooling when we don't even know if he has to or not? Plus, we don't know if he can even afford it (have you seen how much private schooling costs!?) Then there is the issue of nudging OP but not the fact that mom seems to have arbitrarily taken it upon herself to move the kids. Again, unless the orders specifically address this issue then its a big deal on MOMs end and not OP. We don't know the form of custody OP has, we don't know how decision making is broken down between OP and his ex, and we certainly don't know how cost is addressed. So until OP answers those questions, OP is perfectly free on the face to object and well within his rights regardless of whether the school is better or not. :cool:

Proserpina

Pro, i'm kinda surprised this is your answer. Unless OPs order specifically addresses schooling and cost, OP is under no obligation to pay and that is something we tell people all the time (yourself included). So why nudge OP for not wanting to pay for private schooling when we don't even know if he has to or not? Plus, we don't know if he can even afford it (have you seen how much private schooling costs!?) Then there is the issue of nudging OP but not the fact that mom seems to have arbitrarily taken it upon herself to move the kids. Again, unless the orders specifically address this issue then its a big deal on MOMs end and not OP. We don't know the form of custody OP has, we don't know how decision making is broken down between OP and his ex, and we certainly don't know how cost is addressed. So until OP answers those questions, OP is perfectly free on the face to object and well within his rights regardless of whether the school is better or not. :cool:

Some would say it is, very simply, anticipating what OP might have to deal with should Mom make an issue out of it.

It's not that complicated an idea.

RRevak

Some would say it is, very simply, anticipating what OP might have to deal with should Mom make an issue out of it.

It's not that complicated an idea.
OP needs to clarify his situation then because on the face, if mom doesn't have the right to unilaterally change schools (and private isn't addressed at all) then all OP would technically have to say is no I don't agree to this and won't pay and that will be that. Doesn't matter if its a better school because we don't know if there are other public options in the area that haven't been explored. If there are then OP could make an even better case to not pay simply out of there being other public options mom just didn't want to choose. Plus, even if there are NOT better public options, how many times do we tell people that private schools tend to be one of those things that aren't forced on a parent without prior private school decisions being made?

Just Blue

https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/lost-home-foreclosure-tenants-wont-leave-533754.html

OP is rude and nasty to those that try to assist.

LdiJ

OP needs to clarify his situation then because on the face, if mom doesn't have the right to unilaterally change schools (and private isn't addressed at all) then all OP would technically have to say is no I don't agree to this and won't pay and that will be that. Doesn't matter if its a better school because we don't know if there are other public options in the area that haven't been explored. If there are then OP could make an even better case to not pay simply out of there being other public options mom just didn't want to choose. Plus, even if there are NOT better public options, how many times do we tell people that private schools tend to be one of those things that aren't forced on a parent without prior private school decisions being made?
I do agree that it would be rare for a judge to order a parent to pay 1/2 of private schooling well after the fact, and when the decision was not agreed upon. Unless the OP is quite wealthy, or unless private schooling has always been the norm for the children (which is obviously not the case here) I cannot see a judge requiring the OP to pay when he had no input into the decision.

Therefore, the issue really doesn't have anything to do with who signed the paperwork, it really has to do with the decision to send the children to private school at all.

Edit to add...yeah the OP got a bit rude on a prior thread, but it was 4 years ago...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">