• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I write child support check to my daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

john cowley

What is the name of your state? NY My daughter turns 18 in March. Can I write the check to her instead of her leach mother? Can I be ordered to pay for college in addition to child support?

Neal1421

john cowley said:
What is the name of your state? NY My daughter turns 18 in March. Can I write the check to her instead of her leach mother? Can I be ordered to pay for college in addition to child support?
What does your support order say about college tuition or when payments are to cease?

Agscabbage

You have to continue writing the checks to the mother unfortunitally, although, now that your daughter is 18, you can go to the courts and file an amendment to the original court order and request that payments be made payable to your daughter instead from now on.
A girlfriend in college was able to receive her fathers child support checks while she was in college housing because she was not living with her mother at the time. Since she was 18, she was allowed to use the checks for her school directly instead of her mom stealing them again.

john cowley

My support document makes no mention of the age to which I need to support my daughter nor did it mention college. I split from my girlfriend (never married) when my daughter was 1 so this is an old decree. Only amended to up my antee

Silverplum

Agscabbage said:
You have to continue writing the checks to the mother unfortunitally, although, now that your daughter is 18, you can go to the courts and file an amendment to the original court order and request that payments be made payable to your daughter instead from now on.
A girlfriend in college was able to receive her fathers child support checks while she was in college housing because she was not living with her mother at the time. Since she was 18, she was allowed to use the checks for her school directly instead of her mom stealing them again.
sigh.....Agscabbage :eek: **************..the CP does not steal CS. The CP USES the CS to pay a portion of the child's costs. :rolleyes:

And I'd like to see a citation for your statement about filing an amendment in NY. :cool:

OP, check these links for NY CS info:
http://ocse.acf.hhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/report.cfm?State=NY

http://www.divorcenet.com/states/new_york/state_articles/child_support_and_alimony/view

Child support is to be paid to the mother until the daughter is fully emancipated ( on her own blah blah blah)or she turns 21. Which ever comes first.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
CS in NY is payable until 21. To the CP. Unless the child is found to be emancipated - going to college isn't an emancipating event.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">