• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a judge make me do my taxes before I even have the information needed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Moejo76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Onondaga County in New York. I had a court date and the judge post-poned it until 2/15/12. The judge also told me that I have to do my taxes the 1st of January and have them to my ex's lawyer before the end of January. When I requested more time because by law the company doesn't have to mail my 1099 till the end of January the judge said it is what it is and I am not giving you more time. Is this legal? How am I suppose to file taxes without the most important part my 1099?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Onondaga County in New York. I had a court date and the judge post-poned it until 2/15/12. The judge also told me that I have to do my taxes the 1st of January and have them to my ex's lawyer before the end of January. When I requested more time because by law the company doesn't have to mail my 1099 till the end of January the judge said it is what it is and I am not giving you more time. Is this legal? How am I suppose to file taxes without the most important part my 1099?
Figure it out and make it happen. The Judge can order whatever s/he thinks is right.

You don't have to FILE the taxes, you just have to have them prepped by January 31. You can take your pay stubs to a pro and have them figure it out for you.

mistoffolees

Figure it out and make it happen. The Judge can order whatever s/he thinks is right.

You don't have to FILE the taxes, you just have to have them prepped by January 31. You can take your pay stubs to a pro and have them figure it out for you.
Or do it yourself using your pay stubs and known interest, dividends, charitable donations, mortgage deductions, etc. You won't be all that far off.

However, I suspect that there's a lot more to the story. OP says:
"When I requested more time because by law the company doesn't have to mail my 1099 till the end of January the judge said it is what it is and I am not giving you more time. "

Judges don't generally react like that unless something else is going on.

Moejo76

There is always more to any story.

The judge has known my ex's father for years, he worked in the court house. I am always getting screwed, no lawyer will take my case because they have to see the judge on other cases and is not going to upset a judge over my case. Thanks anyway.:(

Silverplum

The judge has known my ex's father for years, he worked in the court house. I am always getting screwed, no lawyer will take my case because they have to see the judge on other cases and is not going to upset a judge over my case. Thanks anyway.:(
Well, then, take our advice and comply with the Judge's order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">