• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can mother of child request increase in CS because her bills exceeds her income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frankg86

What is the name of your state? South Carolina
Not married to mother. Have daughter(sep-16-01) that lives with mom. I do pay $111.95 a week in Child Support for my daughter thru my paycheck. I have job pays $11.25hr @ 36hrs a week, parttime job pays $9.00hr @ 16hrs a week. Mom works 1 job pays $11.57hr, even with 40 hours a week, apartment with bills and expenses exceed greatly what she makes. Can she try to get more support due to her living beyond her income?What is the name of your state?

Mediate This!

frankg86 said:
What is the name of your state? South Carolina
Not married to mother. Have daughter(sep-16-01) that lives with mom. I do pay $111.95 a week in Child Support for my daughter thru my paycheck. I have job pays $11.25hr @ 36hrs a week, parttime job pays $9.00hr @ 16hrs a week. Mom works 1 job pays $11.57hr, even with 40 hours a week, apartment with bills and expenses exceed greatly what she makes. Can she try to get more support due to her living beyond her income?What is the name of your state?
Her bills are HER problem. If she chooses to live in an apartment that she can't afford, that's her problem.

Now, if they relate to the child (i.e. child care, medical), then that's another story.

frankg86

My child support helps with the daycare expenses. She has daughter on her insurance at work. My parttime job is with UPS and they have free medical benefits for me and daughter, which was recently added. I have voluntarily paid her extra $$ to help with expenses as much as i can. I have no proof of it as i paid her cash. Should i pay her by check or request receipt from her on what i gave her beyond child support? I love my daughter and want to do my best for her, but also want to cover myself too as to what i help with support.

NotSoNew

if her bills are unrelated to child care or medical expense for the child the court does not care.

just like you couldnt go out and buy three new cars then claim your bills were too high to pay your CS.

also even if you paid mom extra money with a check and got a receipt the court still considers it a gift. i would not be paying her any extra money.

BelizeBreeze

frankg86 said:
My child support helps with the daycare expenses. She has daughter on her insurance at work. My parttime job is with UPS and they have free medical benefits for me and daughter, which was recently added. I have voluntarily paid her extra $$ to help with expenses as much as i can. I have no proof of it as i paid her cash. Should i pay her by check or request receipt from her on what i gave her beyond child support? I love my daughter and want to do my best for her, but also want to cover myself too as to what i help with support.
You should immediately cease giving the mother extra money, either by cash or other means.

If you want to help your daughter, then purchase things she needs yourself.

Whether the mother can have cs increased for ANY reason depends on the time that has passed between now and the last cs order, any significant change of circumstances during that time and the assets available to the two of you spearately.

If she lived in the apartment when the original order was granted, then she has no grounds on which to be awarded an adjustment.

frankg86

Mom lived with her mother till 2 months ago when she moved into the apartment. She cant affford the rent with all of her outstanding other bills. She has some medical bills on daughter over due because of some mixup with her past insurance as she says. She has new insurance with her job and i also have coverage for my daughter on my UPS job. Our CS case is up for review if she wants as it has been over 3 years i believe. I have no problem to support my girl, but not the mothers high living beyond her paycheck.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
However, depending on what your order states wrt uninsured medical expenses, you may be responsible for some of those she's having trouble with. Which ARE for the kid.

frankg86

stealth2 said:
However, depending on what your order states wrt uninsured medical expenses, you may be responsible for some of those she's having trouble with. Which ARE for the kid.
The problem i think what she said is with her insurance at the time made some error but claim its her fault. At the time the mom wasnt speaking to me so i'm not exactly sure of the whole story.

frankg86

Well she is my daughter and want to do my best and be there for her any way possible. If CS gets raised then all i want is it to be fair and not stick me with her bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">