• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my court date be cancelled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ said:
They aren't going to put you on probation for not paying child support. That isn't one of the options. There is almost no chance that the judge would even consider jailing you at this point because it IS paid up. However if you backslide again, then yeah....the judge could toss your butt in jail.

Ok, I wasn't aware that probation wasn't an option. I was under the impression that contempt of court was a misdemeanor which = up to 1 year in jail, or probation, fines, or all of the above. Besides, I heard about some guy who was like $50,000 in arrears and had been sent to the slammer for 6 months and lengthy probation.
I guess I was wrong. But I do have some knowledge of the criminal courts and I was worried that if I was put on probation I may have trouble with travelling out of state..

S

seniorjudge

Q: What about probation? My girlfriend lives 2 states away and that has crossed my mind as a troublesome concept to swallow.

A: Probation is a non-issue (see previous posters who discussed this). Do NOT mention any girlfriend two states away.

Q: So what do you think would be best to tell the judge anyway? Something along the lines of "I'm sorry I let that happen but I promise to stay on top of it from now on."???

A: Yes. And also what stealth2 said: "SJ would be better able to say what would be palatable to a judge, but sometimes it's best to simply admit you have no good excuse, you've realized what a bonehead you were, and you have every intention of meeting your obligation as ordered by the court from here on out."

There is NO excuse for not paying child support. At least that's my position.

seniorjudge said:
Q: What about probation? My girlfriend lives 2 states away and that has crossed my mind as a troublesome concept to swallow.

A: Probation is a non-issue (see previous posters who discussed this). Do NOT mention any girlfriend two states away.

Q: So what do you think would be best to tell the judge anyway? Something along the lines of "I'm sorry I let that happen but I promise to stay on top of it from now on."???

A: Yes. And also what stealth2 said: "SJ would be better able to say what would be palatable to a judge, but sometimes it's best to simply admit you have no good excuse, you've realized what a bonehead you were, and you have every intention of meeting your obligation as ordered by the court from here on out."

There is NO excuse for not paying child support. At least that's my position.

Yea I know there's no excuse for it. but sometimes, people make up excuses in their own mind, and find "reasons" to validate the excuse to themselves. which is what i guess i did.

Don't mention the girlfriend 2 states away? why would they care if probation was a non-issue? I still feel like I'm not seeing the whole picture here....

do you think i should not mention that because they may think i would run away from my responsibility or something like that?

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

Don't mention the girlfriend 2 states away? why would they care if probation was a non-issue? I still feel like I'm not seeing the whole picture here....

do you think i should not mention that because they may think i would run away from my responsibility or something like that?

$

$

???????

so you're saying they'd be afraid i would go hide out from being served , and not pay huh? thats what i thought you meant anyway :confused:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Apart from anything else, your current g/f is totally irrelevant to your situation. Unless you've got a kid with her, too, and you're not paying support there.

S

seniorjudge

Jbrannen205 said:
$

???????

so you're saying they'd be afraid i would go hide out from being served , and not pay huh? thats what i thought you meant anyway :confused:
If it has wheels or a skirt, you can't afford it.

If it has wheels or a skirt and lives two states away, you really can't afford it and you do not want the judge knowing you're spending money like that.

Last edited:
Well guess what, I just talked to the state's attorney, and he said I don't have to appear in court, and that I may have to appear later this year to "check up" too see if i've been paying..

SHOULD I TAKE THIS GUYS WORD FOR IT? ISN'T HE ON THE "OTHER SIDE"?

I asked him if I could get it in writing (that i dont have to appear). but their attorney wouldn't lie to me would he?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's your choice. If it were me, I'd get my butt in the car and be there. Better safe than sorry.

when i asked the state's attorney if i could get it in writing he said something like "i cant be bothered with having to bill the state for that, and if you dont believe me you can show up, and if you take my word for it you don't have to go"

???????

Seniorjudge? anyone else? :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek:

S

seniorjudge

Jbrannen205 said:
when i asked the state's attorney if i could get it in writing he said something like "i cant be bothered with having to bill the state for that, and if you dont believe me you can show up, and if you take my word for it you don't have to go"

???????

Seniorjudge? anyone else? :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek:
Read my first post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">