• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my son work and still collect his child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

louise43ny

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NY

My son is 20 yrs old he just graduated from high school. I was told that the father has to pay child support until he is 21 as long as he can't afford to support himself. He does have a job but he could use the child support to help him pay his bills if he moves out on his own. He still lives with me at home. My question is does his father still have to pay child support if he makes enough money to pay all his bills but not enough to pay for food? Plus money to buy himself clothes that he may need occasionally.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
As far as I know, working full time is an emancipating event in NYS. And an emancipating event is cause for the NCP to petition an end to CS. If your son is old enough to move out of your home and work to support himself, he's no longer a child. I suspect Dad will have no trouble getting CS ended if your son is working f/t.

louise43ny

That is what I thought. I tried to tell my son this. His dad wants me to stop the child support and I'm not going to do the work for him. He needs to do it himself. He support a wife and her three kids and has probably seen his own kids maybe a total of 3 times since he moved to Florida 8 yrs ago. I would have stopped it long ago if he was a better father. But I say do it yourself.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
rmet4nzkx said:
Child support goes until age 21 in New York, whether he works or not as long as he lives with you.
Not according to the order that I have sitting right in front of me. If I can't find the verbiage online, I'll type & post it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
http://www.divorcenet.com/states/new_york/nyfaq01/view :

When are my children emancipated, so that I am no longer obligated to support them?
A parents liability for the support of his or her children is limited to children under the age of 21 years. In the absence of an express or implied contract, parents have no duty to support an adult child. For custody, visitation and other purposes, the age of majority is age 18, but for purposes of the parental support obligation the age of majority remains at 21. The mutual parental duty of child support is not absolute. It may be suspended or terminated before the child is 21 if the child becomes emancipated by becoming economically independent of his/her parents through employment, by marriage or entry into the military service. Under unusual circumstances, a child may be deemed emancipated if he/she is guilty of outrageous misbehavior, such as makes it inequitable to enforce the support obligation, or if without cause, he/she withdraws from parental control and supervision.

rmet4nzkx

http://www.jeanmahserjian.com/new-york-child-support.html
New York Child Support

New York child support is an obligation of both parents. Parents are obligated to provide financial support for their children until they reach the age of twenty-one. In intact households, providing for child support is rarely an issue. The parents merely contribute to the child's expenses in whatever manner they deem appropriate.

When parents separate or Divorce, how the two parents meet the needs and expenses of their children can be a difficult issue. New York child support includes the expenses of raising a child, including food and clothing, housing, utilities, medical expenses, transportation, education, childcare, extra-curricular activities and more.

New York has a Child Support Standards Act (CSSA) which is a written law or Statue, which dictates how New York child support will be calculated and paid. The CSSA is a very detailed law, set out in many pages of fine print. It defines income, support and other terms, and provides a step by step formula for Courts and attorneys to use to determine New York child support issues. The CSSA has the advantage of providing consistency. It does not matter what County you live in or what County your case is pending in. New York child support will be determined by reference to the CSSA in every Court in the State.

New York - Emancipation - Removal of Disability

The State of New York does not have an emancipation statute available or a court proceeding to remove the disability of minority. Rather, the status of a youth will turn on the specific facts of the case.

According to caselaw, in the State of New York "emancipation" has been defined as the renunciation of parental rights to a child. Gittleman v. Gittleman, 81 A.D. 2d 632, 438 N.Y.S. 2d 130 (2d Dept. 1981); Wayne County Dept. of Soc. Serv. v. Schultz, 81 Misc. 2d 603, 366 N.Y.S. 2d 845 (Fam. Ct. Wayne County 1975).

Also a minor is considered emancipated if the following events have occurred:

1) He or she is married. Cochran v. Cochran, 196 N.Y. 86, 89 N.E. 470 (1909); Matter of Williams,
106 Misc. 2d 280, 431 N.Y.S. 2d 334 (Fam. Ct. Monroe County 1980); Bach v. Long Island Jewish Hospital,
49 Misc. 2d 207, 267 N.Y.S. 2d 289 (Sup. Ct. Nassau County 1966).

2) He or she is in the armed services. Zuckerman v. Zuckerman, 154 A.D. 2d 666, 546 N.Y.S. 2d 666
(2d Dept. 1989); Fauser v. Fauser, 50 Misc. 2d 601, 271, N.Y.S. 2d 59 (Fam. Ct. Nassau County 1966).

3) He or she has established a home and is financially independent. Roe v. Doe, 29 N.Y.2d 188,
272 N.E.2d 567, 324 N.Y.S.2d 71 (1971); Knoll v. Kilcher, 100 A.D. 2d 686, 473 N.Y.S. 2d 887
(3rd Dept. 1984); Giovagnioli v. Ft. Orange, 133 N.Y.S. 92 (3rd Dept. 1911); Rosemary v. George,
103 Misc.2d 1036, 427 N.Y.S.2d 553 (Fam. Ct. Dutchess County 1980); Bickford v. Bickford,
83 Misc. 2d 571, 371 N.Y.S. 2d 782 (Fam. Ct. Schenectady County 1975).

4) His or her parent has failed to fulfill parental support obligations and the minor seeks emancipation.
Gittleman, 81 A.D. 2d 632, 438 N.Y.S. 2d 130; Murphy v. Murphy, 206 Misc. 2d 228, 133 N.Y.S. 2d 796
(Sup. Ct. Broome County 1954).
Emancipation and New York Child Support

New York child support is paid until the child reaches the age of 21, unless the child is emancipated earlier. What constitutes emancipation is a case by case factual determination. A child attending college away from home is not emancipated. A child not attending college, living at home and working full time may be emancipated. New York child support cannot be terminated simply because a parent believes their child is emancipated. A decision must be obtained from the Family Court or Supreme Court to stop the child support payments

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">