• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a one time settlement be offered for child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taini2727

What is the name of your state? Florida
Hello, my best friend was in a relationship for a few months with a woman and she now claims that he is the father to a child that she had last year. He has gone and filed for a paternity test and is scheduled for a court date also. His question is:
If he is found to be the paternal father to this child, instead of paying monthly payments for child support over the course of 18 years, is it legal to offer her a one time settlement payment to cover the 18 years of child support.

Example:
Minimum child support per month: $ 57.33 x 12 months = $ 688.00 a year.
$ 688.00 x 18 yrs = $ 12,384.00

Is it legal to offer her this amount or a slightly higher amount (inflation so to speak)?

If this amount was agreed upon is it legally possible for her to come after him in the future for more money?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

taini2727 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
Hello, my best friend was in a relationship for a few months with a woman and she now claims that he is the father to a child that she had last year. He has gone and filed for a paternity test and is scheduled for a court date also. His question is:
If he is found to be the paternal father to this child, instead of paying monthly payments for child support over the course of 18 years, is it legal to offer her a one time settlement payment to cover the 18 years of child support.

Example:
Minimum child support per month: $ 57.33 x 12 months = $ 688.00 a year.
$ 688.00 x 18 yrs = $ 12,384.00

Is it legal to offer her this amount or a slightly higher amount (inflation so to speak)?

If this amount was agreed upon is it legally possible for her to come after him in the future for more money?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

My response:

I can't speak for Florida law. However, if it will give you any idea of how the law looks at such situations, California will not allow lump sum payments in extinguishment of a child support obligation. There are too many variables; e.g., as the child grows older, the needs increase. As a parent becomes wealthier over time, the child is entitled to live the same lifestyle of the wealthier parent. These are but two examples, and there are many more variables - - but I think you get the idea. So, if Florida law is anything similar to California law, I would say it would be a good bet that the Florida court would say, "No".

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">