• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can parent receive child support from two different states for one child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rdws2668

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I have been paying child support in the state of Illinois since '91 and recently paid ALL of the back pay and even received a refund after they took my taxes. The custodial parent moved to S. Carolina 14 years ago. Today I receive a back child support order from S. Carolina stating that I owe $26,000! Can two different states collect for one child?:confused:

BelizeBreeze

rdws2668 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I have been paying child support in the state of Illinois since '91 and recently paid ALL of the back pay and even received a refund after they took my taxes. The custodial parent moved to S. Carolina 14 years ago. Today I receive a back child support order from S. Carolina stating that I owe $26,000! Can two different states collect for one child?:confused:
No. Send S. C. documentation showing that you are paying (have paid) in Illinois. Obviously someone is trying to commit a fraud.

BelizeBreeze said:
No. Send S. C. documentation showing that you are paying (have paid) in Illinois. Obviously someone is trying to commit a fraud.
Completely agree.

I am wanting to assume a scenario that got you to this point.

Having said that....I will not assume ( or share) and just hope you elaborate on your situatiion.

But from solely on your post...Belize is right on the money.

Elaborate and maybe we can be more specific.

aud

This is more common than what one would think. I live in Illinois and had to deal with the same thing. Easier not to deal with CSE and send CO and proof of payment directly to court. Illinois still occaisionally sends me nasty note wanting back CS for the time I was paying in Indiana.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">