• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can small claims court be used to receive child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LIG58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I'll try to make this short and sweet. In NY, does there have to be a court order to award child support reimbursement and can it be awarded in small claims court? I was told that a small claims court doesn't have jurisdiction. I had custody of my daughter and she moved out for two months to a relatives house. Then came back. Her mother wants to be reimbursed the two months even though there was never a change in custody. Any help, please?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I'll try to make this short and sweet. In NY, does there have to be a court order to award child support reimbursement and can it be awarded in small claims court? I was told that a small claims court doesn't have jurisdiction. I had custody of my daughter and she moved out for two months to a relatives house. Then came back. Her mother wants to be reimbursed the two months even though there was never a change in custody. Any help, please?

That's correct.

Small claims court won't hear child support issues.

Mom wants to be reimbursed? Not likely.

BL

How old is your daughter ?

Mom's theory is that since your daughter wasn't under your roof,care,and control, you should not have been receiving CS for her , rightfully so .

Any changes however need to go through the court for modification .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">