• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can support be terminated in nj

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snowman3

My ex wants me to sign off on my rights and have my daughter adopted by her new husband. The letter states that the child support will be terminated, can this be done? I was told support cannot be terminated.Thanks

Gracie3787

snowman3 said:
My ex wants me to sign off on my rights and have my daughter adopted by her new husband. The letter states that the child support will be terminated, can this be done? I was told support cannot be terminated.Thanks
On-going support will be terminated.

Arrears owed WILL NOT be terminated and you would still have to pay any arrears owed.

VeronicaGia

snowman3 said:
Ongoing support will indeed stop if your child is actually adopted. If you go through with the termination, but step-dad never adopts, you will lose your parental rights but still have the child support obligation.

So, if you're going to do this, hire an attorney and make sure there is finalized adoption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">