• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Veteran's Disability Payments Be Used For Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCBilities

I am an unemployed Veteran. My entire disability check goes each month to pay my child support and leaves me no income. Is this legal and should I request a Review and Adjustment from the state of Ohio? Suppoert order originated in Florida.

BL

I am an unemployed Veteran. My entire disability check goes each month to pay my child support and leaves me no income. Is this legal and should I request a Review and Adjustment from the state of Ohio? Suppoert order originated in Florida.
TITLE 38 > PART IV > CHAPTER 53 > § 5301
§ 5301. Nonassignability and exempt status of benefits

If you receive VA benefits , go to your local VA Office and have a rep. sort this out .

If you indeed are exempt ,obtain a copy , and go to the child support enforcement office and get it stopped .

You could google the section and code and print it out ,or obtain a copy from your VA. rep.

You should also file for a modification through the court .

Be aware , any funds that are co-mingled into your account other that your benefits ,can be seized .

Make sure your VA benefits are in a separate account and only use that account for VA. benefits alone .

Locator: http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp?isflash=1[/U]]Veterans Affairs National Facilities Locator - Locations

Gracie3787

Was the order transferred from FL to OH?

If not, you'll have to file for the modification in FL.
I don't know about OH's laws, but in FL disabilty payments can be used to determine CS.
If your order was issued before you became disabled, and has not been modified, you'll need to file for a modification.

ecmst12

Getting VA disability doesn't always (or even usually) mean that the person is unable to work. I suspect OP's order was made when he was employed and he has since lost his job making the disability his only income. In which case he should be able to request a modification.

BL

Was the order transferred from FL to OH?

If not, you'll have to file for the modification in FL.
I don't know about OH's laws, but in FL disabilty payments can be used to determine CS.
If your order was issued before you became disabled, and has not been modified, you'll need to file for a modification.
Yes ,for calculations ,plus even though VA. benefits are exempt from seizer ,other CS enforcement methods can be used .

haiki

Judges overstepping. A veteran's observation.

Is this legal .
=

How can state court judges waive away disability rights, and arbitrarily award as alimony or, as in other cases just take, a portion of a veteran’s disability rated compensation, determined on a case-by-case basis of a veteran’s whose disability rating that maybe, is factored in as critical? Title II of the ADA provides that "no qualified individual with a disability shall, by reason of such disability, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs, or activities of a public entity, or be subjected to discrimination by any such entity." §12132 (2000 ed.). The entity being the VA, and the State court judgments as if all disabilities are exactly the same? State court judges are overstepping those whose authority it belongs, in the practice of medicine, reevaluation, and rehabilitation of the veteran. The law is quite clear, along with violating the canons of standard conduct for judges, violating “Authority for schedule for rating disabilities.” 38 USC 1155, "..., in no event shall such a readjustment in the rating schedule cause a veteran's disability rating in effect on the effective date of the readjustment to be reduced unless an improvement in the veteran's disability is shown to have occurred.”

=

I now wondered, if state court judges are allowed to take away a veteran’s disability compensation without a medical license, or medical knowledge, how does the Board of Veterans Appeals, who are continually faced with determining a veteran’s disability, or other medical claim, adjudicate these medical questions?
=

38 C.F.R. PART 20—BOARD OF VETERANS' APPEALS: RULES OF PRACTICE
Justia :: 38 C.F.R. PART 20—BOARD OF VETERANS' APPEALS: RULES OF PRACTICE
=

§ 20.101 Rule 101. Jurisdiction of the Board.
“(b) Appellate jurisdiction of determinations of the Veterans Health Administration. The Board's appellate jurisdiction extends to questions of eligibility for hospitalization, outpatient treatment, and nursing home and domiciliary care; for devices such as prostheses, canes, wheelchairs, back braces, orthopedic shoes, and similar appliances; and for other benefits administered by the Veterans Health Administration. Medical determinations, such as determinations of the need for and appropriateness of specific types of medical care and treatment for an individual, are not adjudicative matters and are beyond the Board's jurisdiction. Typical examples of these issues are whether a particular drug should be prescribed, whether a specific type of physiotherapy should be ordered, and similar judgmental treatment decisions with which an attending physician may be faced.”
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 511(a), 7104, 7105, 7108)
=

§ 20.901 Rule 901. Medical opinions and opinions of the General Counsel.
“(d) Independent medical expert opinions. When, in the judgment of the Board, additional medical opinion is warranted by the medical complexity or controversy involved in an appeal, the Board may obtain an advisory medical opinion from one or more medical experts who are not employees of the Department of Veterans Affairs. Opinions will be secured, as requested by the Chairman of the Board, from recognized medical schools, universities, clinics, or medical institutions with which arrangements for such opinions have been made by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs. An appropriate official of the institution will select the individual expert, or experts, to give an opinion.”
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 7109)

=
Even the Social Security Administration… has medical evidence standards they must follow.
42 USC 423 “In making any determination the Commissioner of Social Security shall make every reasonable effort to obtain from the individual’s treating physician (or other treating health care provider) all medical evidence, including diagnostic tests, necessary in order to properly make such determination, prior to evaluating medical evidence obtained from any other source on a consultative basis.”

=
As veterans’ all know too well , state court judges, as incompetent as they are in the knowledge required to determine medical necessity and procedures, upon eyeing a veterans VA disability compensation, as alimony, the standards of judicial jurisprudence, and laws are totally ignored.
=

SSgt Fodder

The answer is yes and no. Yes if your state does not follow the rules and is ignoring the supreme court. This does happen. I work with the "5301 Club" and "OFFE".

The no answer to this is to make sure you are able to understand and quote the case of Rose v Rose. Specifically you need this quote with citation information.

ROSE V. ROSE, 481 U. S. 619 (1987)
JUSTICE MARSHALL's Ruling Court Page 481 U.S. 625.

The Court of Appeals correctly identified the constitutional standard for determining whether § 36-820, as construed by the Tennessee courts to authorize an award of a veteran's disability benefits as child support, conflicts with federal law, and is therefore preempted under the Supremacy Clause.

Many will misquote this case. They think it says that CAN use it for support. This is actually backwards. You must be able to explain the following if you have problems. The US department of Veteran Affairs has sole authority to all funds payable under Title 38. The states may not use them in calculating support orders. As such the USDVA has a process of apportionment for eligable dependents. Gardians must file for apportionment. If a state uses VA compensation for support they are not only violating the federal authority they are double dipping a veterans benefits. That is the simple of what they are doing.

Don't let them misquote Rose v Rose. The case was about a veteran who was receiving both VA Comp and other income. He was ordered to pay $800 in support based on his "other" income and not VA comp. He made his first payment and then stopped and only paid the apportioned amount. What happened was his income changed. THIS is where the veteran screwed up. If you disagree with an order, you are suppose to follow the processes of law and file an appeal. If you income changes you are suppose to file for a modification based on change of circumstances. He did not appeal and had no grounds and when his income changed he just looked at the courts and said screw you. The ex-wife having no idea why he didn't pay, filed contempt of court charges. The veteran said, bull crap, Wisner v Wisner 1950 says you can't force me to pay out of my VA comp. The appeals court said, they can't use it to calculate but that doesn't excuse the veteran from following the proper processes of law. It got to the supreme court and they said, "for all intensive purposes the veteran had a valid order. and is not excuse from folling the proper court legal process. So yes, he was held in contempt for not paying or rather for not filing for a modification. The ruling also makes other statements about how VA benefits are both for the veteran and the family. But that is why they have a process called apportionment. This is a long and lengthy ruling and issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSgt Fodder

They do it because people are idiots. They do not understand "Judicial Immunity". You piss off a judge and don't give them lots of pats on the back and respect they will piss in your shoes just to screw you. Court has nothing to do with the Truth it as to do with your ability to convince the judge to rule in your favor. Those are two very different things. Aside from that, the states have no authority over VA compensation and you need to properly quote rose v. rose when making your argument.

ROSE V. ROSE, 481 U. S. 619 (1987)
JUSTICE MARSHALL's Ruling Court Page 481 U.S. 625.

The Court of Appeals correctly identified the constitutional standard for determining whether § 36-820, as construed by the Tennessee courts to authorize an award of a veteran's disability benefits as child support, conflicts with federal law, and is therefore preempted under the Supremacy Clause.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSgt Fodder

I'm sure we appreciate you trying to help, but this post is long dead and the original poster is long gone. Please refrain from necroposting. :cool:
Thanks for the option but this link was one of the TOP google links for the question of using va compensation for support. It's my job to stop this type of thing from happening so I'm giving future link followers the ability to go to the right place for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">