• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we do this without involving the court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ailanthus777

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Hi everyone,

In an effort to be brief, my ex-wife and I get along very well with each other; there were a few bumps in the road following the divorce, but I can honestly say that she is a friend. Anyway, she has recently started making more money and we BOTH agreed it was time to have my child support reduced according to what the TN CS Calculator said I should be paying based on our current incomes. We both downloaded the calculators, plugged in the numbers, and agreed on the amount the calculator said.

I then went to the court clerks office, filled out a "Petition to Modify" form and was asked to select a court date. There is where the problem is. She works two hours away from where I live and is eight months pregnant. It will greatly inconvenience her to appear in court.

My question is, how can we do this cheaply, without having to appear in court? Can't we, together, draw up an agreement between ourselves, take it to a notary, sign it, and have it notarized? I'm not out to cheat her, and she's not out to cheat me.... we just want to make this as simple as can be.

Please advise, and thank you for your time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Gracie3787

Hi everyone,

In an effort to be brief, my ex-wife and I get along very well with each other; there were a few bumps in the road following the divorce, but I can honestly say that she is a friend. Anyway, she has recently started making more money and we BOTH agreed it was time to have my child support reduced according to what the TN CS Calculator said I should be paying based on our current incomes. We both downloaded the calculators, plugged in the numbers, and agreed on the amount the calculator said.

I then went to the court clerks office, filled out a "Petition to Modify" form and was asked to select a court date. There is where the problem is. She works two hours away from where I live and is eight months pregnant. It will greatly inconvenience her to appear in court.

My question is, how can we do this cheaply, without having to appear in court? Can't we, together, draw up an agreement between ourselves, take it to a notary, sign it, and have it notarized? I'm not out to cheat her, and she's not out to cheat me.... we just want to make this as simple as can be.

Please advise, and thank you for your time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your ex does not have to appear in court. All she has to do is to file an answer to your petition agreeing with everything. Then, you go to court and Judge signs order.

LdiJ

Hi everyone,

You can submit a stipulated agreement (signed in front of notaries) to the court. Its unlikely that a hearing would be required in that instance.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'd like to give kudos for being a pair of mature and reasonable people. Your child/ren is/are very lucky. Well done!

ailanthus777

Thanks... we try to put our kids first. And, when there is a disagreement, we try to handle it in a mature, reasonable way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">