• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we stop paying support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tfulghum

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Mississippi

My husband pays support on his 16 yr old daughter that lives in KY. She has the bi-polar disease. She has attempted suicide twice and has been locked up for years at a time for stealing cars and running away. She has been pregnant once when she was 13. Her mom is a drug user as is her boyfriend. At this time the child is able to come and go as she pleases because she continusly runs away. There is warrant for her arrest right now for breaking probation. She is suppose to be in the 10th grade and has not attended school this year. At this point the child has once again ran away. We are tired of supporting a child that isn't even at home and the mother isusing themoney for only god knows what. The child doesn't even talk to her father very much. She defies any kind of authority. She thinks she can just speak to her dad any way she pleases. So he avoids her to prevent fights. This has been going on for years now. Why do we have to pay support for a child that isn't living at home and is not attending high school? Is there anything we can do?

Thanks

HomeGuru

tfulghum said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Mississippi

My husband pays support on his 16 yr old daughter that lives in KY. She has the bi-polar disease. She has attempted suicide twice and has been locked up for years at a time for stealing cars and running away. She has been pregnant once when she was 13. Her mom is a drug user as is her boyfriend. At this time the child is able to come and go as she pleases because she continusly runs away. There is warrant for her arrest right now for breaking probation. She is suppose to be in the 10th grade and has not attended school this year. At this point the child has once again ran away. We are tired of supporting a child that isn't even at home and the mother isusing themoney for only god knows what. The child doesn't even talk to her father very much. She defies any kind of authority. She thinks she can just speak to her dad any way she pleases. So he avoids her to prevent fights. This has been going on for years now. Why do we have to pay support for a child that isn't living at home and is not attending high school? Is there anything we can do?

Thanks
**A: the answer is yes until such time that the court orders you to stop paying CS.

nohr4u1yr

A different angle

After reading your post I feel a little sorry for the girl. You stated that she has a mental problem - obviously is not getting any support from her mother and boyfriend becuase drugs are more important. Her father hardly talks to her becuase they are always fighting - she is not attending school - she's running away and has tried to commit suicide.

Get the poor girl some HELP! Take the time to show her that she is valued and loved. She is reaching out the best way she knows how and that is by getting into trouble and fighting - she is looking for attention.

How will you all feel if she actually succeeds at one of her suicide attempts - at that point all the statements beginning with "I wish I would have" won't help.

She is a child - get her some help.

BethM

So he avoids her to prevent fights.

He avoids her to prevent a fight? BULL$HIT, he avoids her to keep from having to be responsible for a sick child. What the hell is wrong with you people. This is a child who has been in trouble...according to you, for years. Why the hell has her father not gotten his child out of this situation, gotten her help for her illness and acted like a father?

No, you can't stop paying child support!! If you guys are so concerned about where your money is going to then step up to the damned plate, start acting with some humanity to your husband's own child and for GOD'S rescue this helpless little girl. How the hell does a father look the other way when his own child is suffering? How the hell does a woman like you not look at her husband and question his character for choosing to look the other way?

"Avoiding" her to prevent a fight is the chicken $hit way out. Tell him to put his pants on, become a man and father and do something for his child.

stepmom65

So he avoids her to prevent fights

BethM...I commend you for standing up and saying how it is. APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE......!!!!!!!!

APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE......!!!!!!!!

sickaboutit

Stop paying support

The answer to that No. You must petition the courts before ceasing any support. That is a good question why hasn't Dad tried to file for custody and help the child? How long has Mom been on drugs? I'm not trying to judge you because I haven't walked in your shoes. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems. I am a step parent and the drama that my husband has to put up with just to conversate with his kids over the phone is beyond me! When those ex's are money hungry and abusing the money for their gain they will go to any extent to prove to the courts that they are fit. As long as the children have a roof over their head and food to eat....they are being taken care of. At least that's the response I recived...which I totally disagree with~ Caring for a child takes a heck of a lot more than that. I hope things work out for you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">