• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cash Settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusett

I know that typically CS side deals between parents are unenforceable. What I'm asking is if an agreement that declares an adult child over the age of majority emancipated in exchange for a cash settlement would be enforceable by the court?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I know that typically CS side deals between parents are unenforceable. What I'm asking is if an agreement that declares an adult child over the age of majority emancipated in exchange for a cash settlement would be enforceable by the court?
One cannot simply decide to be emancipated. There are specific conditions that need to be met. Have those conditions been met?

Just Blue

How old is the "child"? To whom is the money owed? ...ie...State or CP (or both)? And WHO are you in this situation?

Blue

I'm the non custodial patent. Youngest child is 18 1/2. No money is owed to the state. Mom is not on state assistance. The reason I ask us because I know that child support from age 18 - 23 is discretionary in MA. A judge CAN order support if the child is in school full time but it is not required. I was considering offering my ex a lump sum settlement in exchange for terminating child support. I'm just weary of courts and was hoping I could just put child support to rest once an for all and allows us both to just get on with our lives

divorceisugly

I would think that once your child either graduates HS or turns 18 (depending on state and our decree) child support would end at that time unless your x would go to court (or maybe your child could) to ask the court to have you continue to provide CS while your child is gong to college. I would tend to think along the lines of not offering anything like this unless X takes you to court over you paying CS while child is in college.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would think that once your child either graduates HS or turns 18 (depending on state and our decree) child support would end at that time unless your x would go to court (or maybe your child could) to ask the court to have you continue to provide CS while your child is gong to college. I would tend to think along the lines of not offering anything like this unless X takes you to court over you paying CS while child is in college.
Perhaps you should read and learn before posting...really.

I can’t speak about wherever you live but here, child support does not end automatically. I have to go to court to show that my children meet the definition of emancipated before a judge will terminate my obligation. Children over the age of 18 but not yet 23 who are enrolled in full time school, unmarried AND are primarily dependent on a parent for support ARE NOT emancipated. My youngest graduated high school this past June and is enrolled in a full time college program so my support obligation continues. The judge can exercise discretion on child support obligations for children over the age of 18 which I THINK opens the door for the settlement I am asking about if mom and I can come to terms.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">