• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change in child support and gross or net income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zclarkson4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I recently went to court due to my ex pursuing child support for our son. I'm the non-custodial father.I was already paying her $80 a week which was our agreement for what she needed but the state required that she do all this legally. First of all couple of things, does child support get based on gross income or net? because in the order, they based it on my gross income that my ex wrote down on her financial affidavit. She didn't show so they didn't even bother to ask me for my pay stubs, they just asked if 3800$ a month gross sounded right - in the heat of the moment and a million things running through my head i said yes. In reality I only make 3200 gross and my net is about 2500. They set my amount at 600 a month for me to pay a month for my son. so question is, do they base it on gross or net to determine the amount required to pay? And why didn't they verify income instead of basing it on her word?

2nd - I got all the paperwork in the mail from the court date - got 2 different letters. One was the court papers from the original court date (court date of 10/24/11 and a document date of 10/31/11) with the set amount I was told I was to pay. In that court order was the income deduction order i'm assuming will go to my work. The 2nd envelope had another letter from the department of revenue (child support office) dated 11/4/11 - it had an income deduction order as well, but looked different than the court paper and on it, it stated that only $331 would be taken out every month from my check. why the different amounts? I looked online and under the court records it had the court date, then the documented date and then a modified date (11/4/11). Is it possible that the child support office didn't take the courts reccomendation and only set me to pay 331? i'm confused and haven't had a chance to get on the phone and figure all this out. any ideas?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I recently went to court due to my ex pursuing child support for our son. I'm the non-custodial father.I was already paying her $80 a week which was our agreement for what she needed but the state required that she do all this legally. First of all couple of things, does child support get based on gross income or net? because in the order, they based it on my gross income that my ex wrote down on her financial affidavit. She didn't show so they didn't even bother to ask me for my pay stubs, they just asked if 3800$ a month gross sounded right - in the heat of the moment and a million things running through my head i said yes. In reality I only make 3200 gross and my net is about 2500. They set my amount at 600 a month for me to pay a month for my son. so question is, do they base it on gross or net to determine the amount required to pay? And why didn't they verify income instead of basing it on her word?

They didn't base it on her word....you agreed. Florida uses gross income minus certain allowable deductions:

http://www.divorcesupport.com/divorce/Florida-Child-Support-Definitions-2846.html

2nd - I got all the paperwork in the mail from the court date - got 2 different letters. One was the court papers from the original court date (court date of 10/24/11 and a document date of 10/31/11) with the set amount I was told I was to pay. In that court order was the income deduction order i'm assuming will go to my work. The 2nd envelope had another letter from the department of revenue (child support office) dated 11/4/11 - it had an income deduction order as well, but looked different than the court paper and on it, it stated that only $331 would be taken out every month from my check. why the different amounts? I looked online and under the court records it had the court date, then the documented date and then a modified date (11/4/11). Is it possible that the child support office didn't take the courts reccomendation and only set me to pay 331? i'm confused and haven't had a chance to get on the phone and figure all this out. any ideas?

You're going to have to call and ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">